Chatfield United Methodist Church
Historical Marker
Chatfield, Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Religion Index

 

Chatfield Farm to Market 1603, 12 mi N. of Corsicana in Chatfield, TX

Photo by Dana Stubbs

Chatfield United Methodist Church

In 1846, the Rev. J. E. Ferguson, whose son was to be a governor of Texas, preached to Methodist in this area. Robert Hodge, who founded Chatfield, built a brush arbor and let camp meetings be held at his spring. In 1858, he donated a site for a lodge hall, where all faiths worshiped for years. In 1886, Mr. and Mrs. Nail McMullan gave the Methodists a site for a church of their own. Peak membership came in 1896 under the Rev. George Clark. The original building was destroyed by a storm in 1937; the present one was completed in 1938. (1976)

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox