Photo by Edward L. Williams
The Blooming Groves Times
Vol XLIX No 52
June 28, 1940
Photo First Methodist Church
The First Methodist Church in Blooming Grove
was organized about 1890 by L.D. Simpson, S.A. Hodges, A.A. Roberts,
Hinton C. Ivy, J.P. Willeford and others and the first house of worship
was erected on the present site soon after organization. It is not
known if any charter member of the church survives.
The church has a present membership of 262
and is active through its auxiliaries in all the phases of the work of
the denomination. The church building now in use was built in 1913
under the pastorate of Dr. E.B. Hawk.
Throughout almost all of the history of the
church there has been an active Woman's Missionary Society. Mrs. Maggie
Richards, the only surviving charter members, is still active in the
Pastors who have served this church are Bros
Majors, Musset, Vughn, Galligar, Odom, Clark, Evans, Wiseman, Chappell,
Hawk, Bryan, Herron, Little, Walker, Clark, Wagoner, Kornagee, Morton,
Story, Shuler, Noe, Utley, Whitefield, McDaniel and Van P. Morrison.
Navarro Co. Deed Bk 70
Lots 1 & 2 of Block R. March 28, 1894
W.D. Grady & wife Henrietta, S.W. Grimes, A.S. Henny,
Geo T. Jester sold
for $100 to Trustees of M.E.C. (Methodist Episcopal Church) Blooming
Grove: A.S. Gill, Hinton C. Ivy, David Maggard, J.R. Frost.
Submitted by Virginia