Located on U.S. Highway 287 seven miles
southeast of Corsicana in Navarro County
Texas. Mildred was established as a stop on the Texas and
Brazos Valley line in the late 1890s. A post office opened at the community in
1897. After oil was discovered in 1900 in the Powell-Mildred field, the town
boomed briefly, its population growing to several hundred. By 1905, the boom had
ended and the town began to decline. In 1907 its post office closed, and by the
mid 1930s Mildred had half a dozen stores, a church, a school, and a few houses.
In 1936 the population was sixty-one. After World War II the stores closed and
by the mid 1960s the site had a school, a church, and a number of houses. Later
its population began to grow again and in 1990 the number of residents was
reported at 173.