Britton Dawson Home
Historical Marker
Navarro County, Texas


HOME


Historical Markers || Biography || Homes Index

 


Photo by Dana Stubbs


Britton Dawson Home

Granted a bounty of Navarro County land for his participation in the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836, cattleman Britton Dawson (1817-1905) settled here in 1847. He occupied a three-room cabin before erecting this two-and-one-half story Greek revival house in 1858-59. Built of cypress hauled by oxcart from the Texas Gulf Coast, the structure has an unusual suspended gallery on the second floor. A residence for Dawson's large family, it also served as a stage stop. Land for Dawson town site was donated in 1881 by two of Dawson's sons, Dave and Henry. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977

 

The text of the historical markers have been posted here with the permission of the Texas Historical Commission

Notes:


 


Navarro County TXGenWeb
Copyright February, 2020
Edward L. Williams