In 1870 Lawrence S. Taylor sold
five acres of land for school and church purposes to Nelson Owen, J.T.
Selman and W.B. Gage. Trustees of the Long Prairie School
District. The Long Prairie School and the Long Prairie Methodist
Church shared the site, which the community also used as a cemetery.
The School district consolidated into the Kerens Independent School
District in 1949. Around that same time, the church merged into
the Kerens Methodist Church, and the school district and the church sold
their respective land at this site to the Long Prairie Cemetery
The First Burial at the
graveyard, which is also known as Alligator Cemetery, is that of
Sallie K. Burt, a child who
died in 1872. Many graves are marked with fraternal organization
symbols, and several belong to veterans wh fought in conflicts dating
back to the Civil War. The names of these long Prairie residents
and their families, friends and neighbors sever as reminders of the
community's history from settlement through hardships and successes.
Historic Texas Cemetery