Located at the junction of three farm roads eight miles northwest of Corsicana
in Navarro County Texas. Emhouse was laid out around 1906 after the Trinity and Brazos River
Valley Railway purchased the right-of-way for a line between Waxahachie and Teague. The community was originally known as Lyford, but since there was
already another Texas post office by that name, officials renamed the settlement
Emhouse, after Col. Edward M. House, superintendent of the railroad. A post
office was opened in 1908 and by 1914 the community had Baptist, Methodist
Episcopal and Methodist churches, a bank, two restaurants, five grocery stores,
three general stores, three blacksmith shops, a weekly newspaper called the
Emhouse News, and an estimated population of 500. Emhouse prospered through the
1920s but by 1936 the population had fallen to 322.. The decline continued after
World War II, and by the mid 1960s the number of residents had fallen to 150 and
the business to five. In 1990 Emhouse was a rural community with several
churches, a district school, a large number of houses, and an estimated
population of 250.
Statistics & Facts:
- The population of Emhouse is approximately 159 (as of 2007)
- The approximate number of families is 76 (as of 2001)
- The amount of land area in Emhouse is 0.643 sq. kilometers
- The amount of surface water is 0 sq kilometers
- The distance from Emhouse to Washington DC is 1232 miles. The distance to the Texas state capital is 145 miles. (as the crow flies)
- Emhouse is positioned 32.16 degrees north of the equator and 96.57 degrees west of the prime meridian
Indexes: See Also: |