Located on the St. Louis Southwestern
line, Farm Road 653, and State Highway 31 just east of Lake Corsicana and seven
miles east of Corsicana in east central Navarro County. Powell is an
incorporated rural community named for Bud Powell, a local land owner who owned
the land that the railroad station was built on. After the St. Louis South
western Railway reached the area in 1881, local ranches were divided up and sold
as farms, and schools, churches, stores, and businesses were established. The
Powell post office opened in 1892, and the Powell oilfield was discovered in
1900, when Navarro County native Henry W. Warren and his associate R. K.
Blackshear drilled a production oil well. For a time the town boomed; its
population grew from 248 in 1904 to 500 by 1925. The field reached peak
production in Nov. 1923 producing more than 33 million barrels of oil.
Production declined rapidly and 1931 was the last year to produce a million
barrels. In 1906 Powell had a two-teacher school for some 104 white students,
and a two-teacher school for 123 black students. By 1914 two general stores, two
grocery stores, two cotton gins, a lumber company, a hardware store, a
drugstore, a restaurant, a physician, and the Powell State Bank served the
community. Some ten businesses, as well as two churches and scattered dwellings,
remained in 1939. From that year through the late 1970s the population dropped
from 500 to 112. In the 1980s Powell had 130 residents, a grocery store, a
service station, a feed store, a church, the bank, a fire station, and the
Chatfield Water Corporation. In 1990 it reported a population of 117.
- The population of Powell is approximately 101.
- The approximate number of families is 52.
- The amount of land area in Powell is 4.329 sq. kilometers.
- The distance from Powell to Washington DC is 1220 miles.
- The distance to the Texas state capital is 151 miles. (as the crow
- Powell is positioned 32.11 degrees north of the equator and 96.32
degrees west of the prime meridian.