Located at the junction of Farm roads 636 and 1129, eight miles northeast of Corsicana
in Navarro County Texas. Roane was first settled in the
early 1840s by the Beadly family. A school, known as Post Oak School, began
operating there around the time of the Civil
War. In 1892 a post office, named
Roane on the suggestion of local resident Will Holland, opened and the following
year the first gin was built. A four-teacher school was in operation in 1906
with an enrollment of 153. By 1914 Roane had three general stores, Baptist and
Methodist churches, two blacksmith shops, and an estimated population of 150.
During the 1930s the town had two churches, a school, and four or five stores.
After World War II the post office and most of the stores closed. The population
remained constant until the early 1950s when it declined to 120. By the
mid-1960s only a single store and a number of houses remained. In 1990 Roane was
a dispersed community with an estimated population of 120.