Navarro County, Texas
|SAMARIA, TEXAS. Samaria, on Farm Road 3096 four miles southeast of Kerens in southeastern Navarro County, was established before 1900. A school named
Goodnight was in operation there by the early 1900s; in 1906 it had an enrollment of 137 black children. In the mid-1930s the community had three churches, a school, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II
the school was consolidated with the Kerens school, and two of the churches disbanded. In the early 1990s Samaria was a dispersed community with a church, a cemetery, a community center, a store, and a few widely scattered houses; the population in 1990 was fifty. |
"SAMARIA, TX." The Handbook of Texas Online.
Navarro County TXGenWeb
Edward L. Williams & Barbara