One of the early educators of Corsicana was Captain James Andrew Townsend. He was born August 7,
1836. He was a veteran of the Civil
war, serving as a Captain in
the Texas Troops. Capt Townsend was principal of the first independent
school. Capt. Townsend came to Corsicana January 20, 1872, from
Owensville, and while there, he met and married Miss Emma Davis.
He and his wife had taught private schools before the coming of the
independent system. His original school, known as Cedar Hall,
stood at the location of the present Westminister
Church. It was
later moved and occupied the corner where the telephone building now
stands. Capt Townsend died on Dec 7, 1918 and is buried in the
Oakwood Cemetery in Corsicana, Navarro Co., TX. He is remembered
as a faithful and conscientious instructor who did much toward the
education of the youth of Corsicana.
His wife received Confederate
Captain Townsend's former residence
518 West 7th Avenue.