RE, TEXAS. Re was a rural community just east of Navarro and eight miles
southeast of Corsicana in southeastern Navarro County. It was established in the
early 1880s and named for a local store owner. A post office opened in 1881, and
by 1885 Re had a general store, two churches, a cotton gin, a blacksmith, a
district school, and an estimated population of seventy-five. The town began to
decline in the mid-1890s when many of the residents moved to nearby Navarro,
which was located near the railroad. The post office closed in 1906, and by the
mid-1930s Re no longer appeared on state highway maps.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (5
vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975-84). Alva
Taylor, History and Photographs
of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed.,
Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
"RE, TX." The Handbook of Texas Online.