Biographical Mini Sketches
Page 5
Navarro County, Texas


Page 4 || Biography Index || Page 6



SGT. CLAUDE BOYD RYBURN was born February 13, 1892 in Purdon, Texas.  He was disabled in World War I.  According to his daughter,  Mary Evelyn (Ryburn) Parish, Sergeant Ryburn  served with the 1st Infantry Division in France.

Mrs. Parish did not recall the given name of Sergeant Ryburn's father, but his mother was formerly Martha Pond.   Claude B. Ryburn's wife, Cora Norton, was born on  September 18, 1898 in Purdon, Texas and was the daughter of Samuel and Mary Ann (Collins) Norton.  Sgt. and Mrs. Ryburn's youngest daughter, Mary Evelyn, believes her parents were married around 1918 in Corsicana, Texas.  Her older sister, Dorothy Lorraine (Ryburn) Yuricovick was born November 11, 1920 in Fort Worth, Texas.  Mrs. Parish was born April 16, 1926 in Baton Rouge, La.

 The job as superintendent was open to disabled veterans.  The Daily Corinthian newspaper reported Sgt. Ryburn's arrival in Corinth in April 26, 1934.  He succeeded J. H. Gipson who was transferred to Florence, S. C., National Cemetery by the War Department.  The Superintendent's Lodge in Corinth was recently built and the old lodge torn away when Sgt. Ryburn arrived.

His duties entailed, as recalled by his youngest daughter, upkeep and occasional burials.  He was assisted by Mr. Hugh Horton and other persons.  Mr. Horton became the Corinth Postmaster and is well known to be a local Civil War expert.

Mrs. Parish reported that occasionally there was some good natured teasing about living in a cemetery.  However, neither she nor her sister were depressed by the location.  The grounds were beautifully kept.  She fondly recalled a favorite tree she read under. Only pleasant memories of growing up their remain.

The Ryburns were part of the community.  Mrs. Parish recalled their neighbors, the Hortons, McBees, Burns, McNairs, Bushs.  Mrs.  Ryburn was active in the Church of Christ Church in Corinth.  Her best
  friend was Mrs. Chris Moreland.  Sgt. Ryburn's best friend was a fishing buddy, Bill Moss.

Claude B. Ryburn and his family, left Corinth in January 1947.  Sgt. Ryburn died in Port Isabel, Texas in 1960.    As of January, 1995, Mrs. Cora Ryburn still survives.

See Also:

Hardee, John (Corsicana, TX, 20 Dec 1918 - Dallas, 18 May 1984) Tenor Saxophonist

He played piano and mellophone, C-melody saxophone, then alto saxophone. He attended Bishop College, toured as a tenor saxophonist with Don Albert (1937-8), then returned to college, from which he graduated in 1941. Later he was a band director at a school in Texas and played clarinet in army bands. In New York he played with Tiny Grimes (1946) and from 1946 to 1948 recorded swing and bop tunes as a leader (including Bad Man's Bounce/Baby, watch that stuff, 1947, Regent 121). He also recorded with Russell Procope, Earl Bostic, and Billy Kyle (all 1946), Helen Humes (1947), Billy Taylor (1949), and Lucky Millinder (1950). After moving to Dallas he played in clubs as a leader until the early 1960s and led school bands until around 1976. In 1975 he appeared at the festival in Nice, France.


 E. Townley: "A School Teacher from Dallas," Jazz Journal, xxix/5 (1976), 4
 B. Rusch: "John Hardee: Interview," Cadence, iv/1 (1978), 16

The New Grove Dictionary of Jazz, © Macmillan Reference Ltd 1988


John Hardee, Tenor Sax, b. Corsicana, TX, USA. d. May 18, 1984. During 1937-1938, he toured with Don Albert. In 1941, Hardee graduated from Bishop College. He first worked as a band director at a Texas school, and in 1942 entered the U. S. Army, serving until WWII ended. In early 1946, while he was playing with the Tiny Grimes orchestra, he also signed with the Bluenote label and ddurning 1946-1948, he led his own group and recorded 18 titles. Over his career, Hardee also recorded with Lucky Millinder, Earl Bostic, Russell Procope, Billy Kyle, Billy Taylor, and Helen Humes. Also in 1946, he teamed up with Jimmy Ford to play at the "845," the most important African-American club in the Bronx borough of New York city. In the early 1950s, he returned to Witchita Falls/Dallas area in Texas, where he taught as a band director at local high schools. Hardee provided instruction to such future stars as Leo Write (from Wichita Falls) and James Clay )from Dallas). (Hardee taught at the Wichita Falls High School, and he also taught at the Lincoln High School in Dallas.) During the last 30 years of his life, he only rarely played, and then only in local venues. In his formative years, he had been greatly influenced by Coleman Hawkins and Chu Berry. Although brief, Hardee's time as a major Jazz star remains quite memorable

Josh Derden

Derden enlists

PV-2 Josh Derden, a senior at Rice High School, enlisted in the Texas Army National Guard.

He is the son of Neal and Denise Derden of Rice. Derden is a member of the Rice chapter of the National Honor Society, and is the senior class vice president.

Derden will be leaving next June for his one station unit training in Fort Knox, Ky. to be a 19K M1A1 tank crewman. While being trained for his MOS, he will qualify on the M1A16 machine gun and will have the opportunity of throwing a hand grenade.

According to his recruiter, SFC Ricky Grantham, Derden received an $8,000 enlistment bonus and will be making more than $593 per month for working one weekend a month while in college.

Derden will also be able to attend the state college or university of his choice 100 percent tuition free.

Johnny Ozuna

Ozuna joins guard

PV-1 Johnny Ozuna, the senior class president and the starting quarterback of Rice High School football team, recently joined the Texas Army National Guard. He is the son of Johnny and Linda Ozuna of Rice, TX.

According to his recruiter, SFC Ricky Grantham, Ozuna will be attending his one station unit training next summer at Ft. Knox, Ky. as a 19K M1A1 tank crewman for the Corsicana unit. While at basic training, Ozuna will be qualified on his personal weapon M16A2 or with a 9mm and to become licensed to drive a variety of military vehicles such as the Humvee.

When he returns, he will be drilling with the unit one weekend a month making over $593, not including the $8,000 he earned as an enlistment bonus and attending the state college or university of his choice 100 percent tuition free.

Charlotte Morris

Morris graduates from training

Air Force Airman Charlotte Morris has graduated from basic military training at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio.

During the six weeks of training, she studied the Air Force mission, organization, and customs; performed drill and ceremony marches, and received physical training and special training in human relations.

In addition, airmen who complete basic training earn credits toward an associate degree through the Community College of the Air Force.

Morris the daughter of Verna Morris of Corsicana and sister of Toni Morris of Fairfield. She is a 2001 graduate of Blooming Grove High School.

Monday, May 22, 2000 - Office of the Texas Attorney General



AUSTIN - Texas Attorney General John Cornyn offers the following information on James Davis Richardson who is scheduled to be executedafter 6 p.m., Tuesday, May 23rd.


On the evening of December 17, 1986, Gerald Abay, was found dead on the floor behind the counter of his liquor store in Corsicana, Texas. Abay had been shot in the neck and chest. Over $100,000 and Abay's .25 caliber pistol, which he kept behind the counter for protection, were taken from the store. The glass in the front doors of the liquor store was shattered, and there was blood on the floor near the front door. A .38 caliber pistol, that Abay was known to carry, was found near his body.

Michael Ellison, James Davis Richardson's accomplice, testified at trial that on Dec. 17, 1986, he asked James McHenry, another accomplice, if he would take him to a liquor store. McHenry agreed and Richardson went with them. At the liquor store, Ellison and McHenry went inside and Richardson waited in the car. While Ellison was paying for some beer, Richardson entered the store. As McHenry walked out of the store, Richardson suddenly shot Abay in the neck with a .25 caliber pistol. Richardson then shot Abay a second time in the chest. Abay pulled out his .38 caliber pistol and shot at Richardson several times. Abay shot Richardson in the thumb and shattered the glass in the front doors of the liquor store. Ellison took money out of the cash register, as well as Abay's .25 caliber pistol, which was kept behind the cash register. Ellison testified that Richardson drove the car after the robbery and handed his own .25 caliber pistol to McHenry who put it in the glove compartment.

Don Sullivan, a fingerprint examiner, while en route to the crime scene, saw an abandoned car matching the radio broadcast description of the getaway car. Sullivan approached the car and saw blood on the steering wheel, front door handle, door panel and carpet on the driver's side. A fingerprint on the front door handle matched Richardson's fingerprint. A .25 caliber pistol was found in the glove compartment of the getaway car and a thumbprint matching the thumbprint of James McHenry was taken from the pistol. Shortly after the murder a Navarro County sheriff's deputy arrested Richardson, whose left hand was wounded and wrapped in a bloody towel. The deputy took Richardson to the hospital for treatment and the towel was bagged and sent to the laboratory for analysis. Both McHenry and Ellison gave information leading to the recovery of Abay's .25 caliber pistol and some money. Dr. Grady Shaw treated Richardson for a gunshot wound to his left hand. Forsenics experts were able to match the blood found on the getaway car to that of Richardson.

Dr. Vincent Matthews, deputy chief medical examiner for Dallas County, determined that Abay's death was caused by gunshot wounds to the neck and chest. Two .25 caliber bullets were recovered from Abay's body and were submitted for ballistics testing. Larry Fletcher, a firearms examiner, conducted an examination of the .25 caliber pistol found in the glove compartment of the getaway car and the two .25 caliber bullets taken from Abay's body. The test rounds fired from the .25 caliber pistol and the bullets taken from Abay's body were identical and were fired from the same firearm.


Richardson was indicted on Feb.12, 1987, for the capital murder of Gerald Abay, committed during the course of committing and attempting to commit robbery. Richardson was originally tried for this offense, convicted of capital murder, and sentenced to death on April 21, 1987. However, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals reversed the conviction and ordered a retrial because the court reporter misplaced a portion of the trial transcription. At the second trial, Richardson pleaded not guilty to the charged offense. On Nov. 1, 1988, the jury found Richardson guilty as charged in the indictment. After a separate punishment hearing, the jury sentenced Richardson to death.

Richardson's conviction and sentence were automatically appealed to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals. On Dec. 1, 1993, the court affirmed Richardson's second conviction and sentence of death. Thereafter, on Nov. 28, 1994, the United States Supreme Court denied certiorari review.

Richardson's execution was the set for April 11, 1995. However, on March 28, 1995, a federal district court stayed Richardson's execution and appointed counsel to represent Richardson in a federal habeas proceeding. On Oct.r 31, 1995, though, the district court dismissed Richardson's federal habeas corpus proceedings without prejudice so that he could return to state court to exhaust his state remedies.

Through court-appointed counsel, Richardson filed an application for state writ of habeas corpus on March 7, 1997. On Sept. 24, 1997, the Court of Criminal Appeals denied Richardson's application for habeas corpus relief.

Richardson's execution was then set for Dec. 10, 1997, but on Nov. 17, 1997, a federal district court again stayed the execution. The court then appointed counsel, and Richardson filed his second petition for writ of habeas corpus on Feb.17, 1998. On April 14, 1999, the district court denied Richardson's petition. The district court denied permission to appeal on June 9, 1999.

Thereafter, on November 22, 1999, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals also denied Richardson permission to appeal. Subsequently, on Feb. 2, 2000, the trial court set Richardson's execution for May 23, 2000, and Richardson filed a petition for writ of certiorari in the United States Supreme Court on April 24, 2000. That petition is currently pending.


Richardson was previously convicted of aggravated robbery and burglary of a building. Disciplinary reports admitted at trial, revealed that while Richardson was in prison on the aggravated robbery conviction, he was disciplined for destroying state property, striking an officer by throwing hot water on him, and creating a disturbance. Richardson's juvenile record also reflects he had 10 prior arrests; which included theft, truancy, and fighting.

While awaiting trial for capital murder, Richardson smuggled two hacksaw blades into the Navarro County Jail and attempted to escape. Richardson also sexually assaulted another inmate in the Navarro County Jail and threatened him with subsequent assaults if he told anyone.


There was no evidence of drug or alcohol use connected with the instant offense.


05/24/00 Richard Donald Foster
05/25/00 James Edward Clayton
05/31/00 Robert Earl Carter
06/01/00 Ricky Nolen McGinn
06/12/00 Thomas Wayne Mason


If this execution is carried out, it will be the 215th execution since executions resumed in Texas in December 1982 and the 51st since General Cornyn took office. This case is being handled by Assistant Attorney General Edward Marshall of the Capital Litigation Division.

Sgt. Wesley Blue

1/23/2002 Blue recognized for 15 years at NCSO

From Staff Reports

On October 16, 2001 Sgt. Wesley Blue completed 15 years of service to the Navarro County Sheriff's Department.

Sgt. Blue started as a District Court Bailiff and has served as a Patrolman and was promoted to his present position of Sergeant on January 16, 1996. Blue has been the Reserve Coordinator for the Sheriff's Department since November 1, 1995.

Wesley has always loved law enforcement. Before Wesley went to work for the Sheriff's Department, he was a Reserve Officer for the Corsicana Police Department from June 15, 1983 until October 1, 1986.

Sgt. Blue always makes himself available to the citizens of Navarro County as well as his fellow employees.

Wesley enjoys riding his Harley Davidson motorcycle in his spare time.

11/24/2001 Sterling Receives Death Sentence Reprieve

By LOYD COOK/Daily Sun Staff

A convicted triple murderer will evade the executioner one more time, courtesy of an order handed down by a United States district court.

Gary Sterling, 34, received a stay of execution from the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas on Nov. 14. The Daily Sun learned of the stay after attempting to verify why Sterling's Dec. 4 execution date was not appearing on the the Texas Department of Criminal Justice's execution list on its Web site.

Sterling, formerly from the Frost area, was convicted for the May 1988 murder of a Navarro County Man. He received his latest execution date -- the third such date during his 13-year odyssey through the judicial system -- from Judge John Jackson of the 13th Judicial District Court Oct. 29.

It's actually Sterling's second trip through the appeals process, said Pat Batchelor, Navarro County district attorney.

"He's already been to the (U.S.) Supreme Court once," Batchelor said Friday. "They changed the procedures while (Sterling) was going through appeals the first time, when he was almost to the end of the process.

"Supposedly (the changes) were to streamline the process and cut out all of these 12-, 15-year cases. Sterling, in effect, got to start all over again; got a second bite of the apple ... so to speak."

Sterling was convicted for the May 14, 1988 beating death of John W. Carty on Feb. 8, 1989. The jury returned the death sentence the next day.

Legal records indicate that he was first apprehended in connection with the murders of two elderly brothers in Hill County. Sterling admitted that Leroy and William M. Porter, 70 and 72 years old, had been repeatedly struck with "a wrecking bar."

Sterling received two life sentences for those murders as part of a plea bargain agreement with the Hill County prosecutor, according to an October interview with Batchelor, who had assisted Hill County with prosecution efforts.

The Nov. 14 U.S. district court order grants three motions made by Sterling.

The first is the stay of execution; the document calling it an "unopposed application for stay of execution." Batchelor said once the death warrant left Navarro County in October, the case returned to the jurisdiction of the Texas Attorney General's Office. It was the AG's office that did not present opposition to the stay.

The second motion contains a simple request that Sterling be declared "in forma pauperis."

"All that means is that the taxpayers will have to pay (for legal costs)," Batchelor said.

The final motion requests a court-appointed attorney, which it grants. J. Thomas Sullivan of Arkansas was named as Sterling's lawyer. The final motion also grants a request for Sterling to proceed without local counsel -- meaning no one from the Navarro County level.

The motions presented to the U.S. district court clash directly with what Sterling told the Daily Sun in an interview immediately after Judge Jackson set the Dec. 4 execution date that is now on hold. The condemned man said he had come to terms with what he agreed was an inevitable outcome.

"You ain't given any choice in that matter, so I'm pretty much OK with it," Sterling said on Oct. 29. "The life I'm living is rough, so I probably won't pursue any appeals."

Batchelor said it's not necessarily Sterling that filed the three motions with the court.

"There are certain lawyers, certain groups ... that are are so opposed to the death penalty that they would be opposed to the death penalty for Osama bin Laden or Hitler," Batchelor said, adding his impression of Sullivan fit that profile. "So they're going to fight (a death sentence) all they can ... no matter what.

"And (Sullivan) gets paid pretty good, makes a pretty good living doing it."

Should appeals go past the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Batchelor said only the 5th Court of Appeals in Louisiana and the U.S. Supreme Court remain as avenues in which Sterling could attempt to overturn his death sentence.

4/20/2001 Family Traditions: Farm gets recognition for 100 years in family


John Rutherford Stough was honored during the Texas Department of Agriculture's 26th Family Land Heritage Program celebration as the owner of Bio-Bal, a farm which has been passed down through his family for more than 100 years.

Stough, known to friends as "Rut," is the grandson of John Allen and Mary Rutherford who bought the original 93.4 acre spread on Farm-to-Market Road 1603 in Tupelo. The Rutherfords, who married in 1882, started out renting some land in Rice when they left Mississippi in 1885.

"When he accumulated enough money to make a down payment, he bought this place from Dr. (J.W.) Lowery (Jr.)," Stough said.

The deed was recorded in July 1900 and a family legacy began.

In 1932, ownership passed to the Rutherford heirs which included their nine children, then to Robert Franklin Rutherford in 1970 and to Stough the following year.

He and his wife, Louise, moved from their home in Virginia to northern Navarro County in 1991, well prepared to operate a functioning farm.

"I was raised on a farm in Blooming Grove and I graduated from Texas A&M in 1938," Stough said.

From there, he worked for the Soil Conservation Service for 15 years and worked as a consultant for 20 years in agronomy, the science and economics of crop production, and entomology, the study of insects.

For a time, Stough raised beef cattle on the farm while he developed an economical and nutritious grazing plan.

Eventually, the farm's grazing capabilities outgrew Stough's 20-head herd, so he brought in 50 to 75 stockers - yearling steers - and charged their owners by the pound for their weight gain from March to July. He said the average gain was nearly three pounds a day.

Two years ago, he sold his own cattle and turned the fields over to the stockers.

"I went the gaining route because I didn't have to buy cattle," he said. "I'm not worth a fig when it comes to buying cattle or selling cattle."

As Stough worked toward coaxing the maximum grazing potential out of his land, he named the farm Bio-Bal which he said stands for "biologically balanced."

A mainstay in the pastures is a rich mixture of crimson clover which reseeds itself, along with a legume in the form of yuchi clover, hairy vetch and rye grass.

Stough's soil- and planting-management techniques have been so successful, he published a brochure outlining the procedure and he continues to stay involved in agricultural pursuits.

For now, he plans to bale this year's crop as hay in an effort to control weeds which have invaded the fields.

"I have some perennial weeds in my composition I'm trying to get rid of," he said. "It's management to eliminate the weeds."

During the years of his ownership, Stough increased the farm to 96.6 acres and intends to keep it in the family when he passes it along to his two sons some day.

Jones birthday reception

A reception honoring Mrs. Nannie Jones on her 90th birthday will he held Sunday, September 9, 2001 at the Community Room of Cedar Creek Bank in Kerens from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Her son and daughter-in-law Brenda Fields and daughter-in-law Martha Fields are hosting the occasion. Family and friends are invited - no gifts, please.

Staton L. Awtrey, M.D

New heart surgeon moves to SA

Staff Writer

Through an unprecedented three-way partnership, the city of San Angelo is gaining a second, full-time heart surgeon.

Officials at San Angelo Community Medical Center announced Thursday that by expanding their partnership with Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgeons in Austin, West Texas heart patients would be afforded state-of-the-art heart care - practically unparalleled in other cities the size of San Angelo.

Ralph F. Paone, M.D., a specialist in adult cardiac, thoracic and vascular surgery will join Staton L. Awtrey, M.D., a specialist in adult cardiac and thoracic surgery in the CTVS practice in San Angelo.

The two surgeons will practice at both Community and Shannon Medical Centers. Both Paone and Awtrey will live in San Angelo. This is the only CTVS ``satellite'' practice outside of Austin.

``CTVS is proud to be a part of the San Angelo medical community and we look forward to enhancing the comprehensive and progressive cardiac, thoracic and vascular services available here,'' Paone said on Thursday.

``Dr. Awtrey and I are especially pleased to practice in San Angelo because of the city's long-time reputation as a medical center in West Texas, the quality of the existing heart surgery programs at both medical centers and because of the excellent quality of life here. We look forward to active participation in the community.''

Paone, a native of Annapolis, Maryland, earned his medical degree from the University of Texas Medical branch in Galveston. He completed his residency in general surgery at Texas Tech University Regional Academic Center in El Paso and his residency in cardiothoracic surgery at the University of New Mexico Medical Center in Albuquerque.

Awtrey was born in Corsicana and he earned his medical degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas. He completed his residency in general surgery at the University of Arizona School of Medicine and his cardiothoracic surgery at the University of Missouri School of Medicine at Columbia.

Through the partnership, cardiac patients will have the advantage of some of the most advanced surgical treatments known, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Transplants and pediatric referrals will be referred to CTVS surgeons in Austin.

John ``Chip'' Oswalt, president of CTVS, said the Austin-based group has been a pioneer in cardiothoracic surgery techniques in Texas more than 40 years. Currently 18 surgeons are part of the CTVS group.

``This is a great opportunity for our group, and I'd like to say that,'' Oswalt said, ``But my West Texas roots are deeper than that. I'm from Fort Stockton.''

Sam Feazell, CEO at San Angelo Community Medical Center, said the partnership expands the hospital's ability to provide comprehensive and progressive cardiothoracic and vascular surgery services.

1/28/2002 Garrett Makes Bid For County Treasurer

From Staff Reports

A desire for more conservative use of Navarro County tax dollars led to the decision by Republican Marilyn Garrett to run for County Treasurer.

Garrett will be on the November ballot since she does not have an opponent for the March primary.

"In my recent experience with VOCAL (Voters Opposing Court-At-Law), I have had an opportunity to meet with and listen to voters throughout Navarro County," she said. "Residents are concerned about how our tax dollars are being utilized, and do not feel their voices are being heard. I would like to change that."

Garrett is a conservative and outlines a plan to re-evaluate and make recommendations for county expenditures as the platform for her campaign. Garrett has been very active in the Republican Party for the past four years. She was instrumental in forming the Navarro County Republican Women's Organization, serving as president for the past two years. She also co-chaired VOCAL (Voters Opposing Court-At-Law), which was successful in allowing the voice of Navarro County voters to be heard in abolishing the proposed county court-at-law. In addition, Garrett was appointed to the local redistricting board in 2001 by County Judge Alan Bristol.

Garrett was born and raised in Navarro County. She holds an associates degree from Navarro College and has been a successful small business owner since 1993. Prior to that she worked for a local bank in the commercial loan department receiving payments, handling trust receipts, assisting in compiling board reports and computerized balancing to the general ledger daily. She also has experience in a large department store office balancing registers, making bank deposits, preparing payroll and handling accounts receivable and payable.

Garrett has been married to David O. Garrett for 37 years, is a mother and grandmother and is a member of Northside Baptist Church. Her daughter, Jada Rose, is a speech therapist for Mildred, Dawson, and Frost ISDs, and her son David Wayne Garrett works as a supervisor for Guardian Industries.

"I have thoroughly reviewed the job description for Navarro County Treasurer," Garrett said, "and I am confident that my skills and experience, along with my proven commitment to ensuring the voice of citizens is heard, will enable me to make a difference in Navarro County through this office. I am fully committed to the conservative use of Navarro County tax dollars."

O. J. Inmon to Take Applications for Sugar For Canning Purposes

O. J. Inmon has been appointed by the Navarro County Rationing Board as the representative in Kerens for applications for sugar for canning purposes.
Mr. Inmon stated that he would maintain an office in the Kerens Chamber of Commerce building and all those desiring sugar for canning should contact him there and be sure that they bring their original sugar rationing card.
One person may sign for all members of the family and an allotment of five pounds per person will be allowed for canning purposes.
Persons desiring further information about sugar for canning should contact Mr. Inmon. Office hours will be 8:30 to 11:00 a.m. and 1 to 4 p.m.
The Kerens Tribune May 22, 1942

Martha Simkins

Martha Simkins (Am. 1869 - 1969) Born in Monticello, Florida, Simkins moved to Corsicana in 1871 where she was reared and educated in the public schools. She attended the University of Texas, Austin (1887 - 1890), and beginning about 1893 studied six years at the Art Students League of New York and one year at Columbia University. Her instructors included Kenyon Cox, Henry Siddons Mowbray, and William Merritt Chase. In 1901 Simkins taught in the Corsicana public schools and from 1901 until 1906 at North Texas Normal School, Denton. She returned to New York to study again with Chase and with Henry Bayley Snell and Emil Carlsen. a Sojourn in Europe followed, during which she received instruction from Cecilia Beaux and John Singer Sargent. From 1915 to 1924, Simkins divided her time and work between New York City, her studio in Woodstock, New York, and her Dallas home. She executed numerous portrait commissions in the period and taught at the College of Industrial Arts (now Texas Woman’s University), Denton (1921 - 1922). After 1934 Simkins spent most of her time in Dallas, painting and teaching. She died in Los Angeles, California. Exhibitions: Annual Texas Artists Exhibition, Fort Worth (1914 - 1916, 1926 - 1930, 1936); Annual Exhibition of the Society of Independent Artists, New York (1917); Annual Exhibition, National Academy of Design, New York (1919, 1927); American Art from the Days of the Colonists to Now, Dallas Public Art Gallery (1922); Annual Exhibition of the State Fair of Texas, Dallas (1925, 1927 - 1931, 1934); Museum of Fine Arts, Houston (1926 one woman); Texas Artists Exhibition, San Antonio Art League (1926); Paris Salon (1927); Southern States Art League Annual Exhibition, (1927); Annual Allied Arts Exhibition, Dallas (1928 honorable mention, 1933); Annual Texas Cotton Palace Exposition, Waco (1929); Annual Texas Artists Circuit Exhibition (1931 - 1933, 1949); Elisabeth Ney Museum Museum, Austin (1932 one-woman); Texas Centennial Exposition, Dallas (1936); Texas-Oklahoma General Exhibition (1941); Women Artists of Texas 1850 - 1950, Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum, Canyon (1993); Annual Exhibition of Texas Artists, Dallas Woman’s Forum; Joseph Sartor Galleries and Highland Park Art Gallery, Dallas; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Ainslie Galleries ad MacBeth Gallery, New York; Albright Art Gallery, Buffalo, New York; Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club, Woodstock, New York (prizes); All-Southern Exhibition, Charleston, South Carolina (prize); Baltimore. Collections: Dallas Museum of Art Affiliations: Art Students League of New York; Catherine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club, Woodstock, New York; Frank Reaugh Art Club, Dallas; National Association of Women Painters and Sculptors; Pen and Brush Club, New York; Society of Independent Artists; Southern States Art League; Texas Fine Arts Association; Woodstock (New York) Artists Association. Refernces: Benezit; Dawdy; Falk; Fisk; Landauer and Reese; Mallett, Index; New Handbook of Texas; Petteys; Smith; Library and Archives, University of North Texas, Denton; College Catalogs, Texas Woman’s University, Denton. Source: Texas Painters, Sculptors & Graphic Artists by John and Deborah Powers

Navarro County TXGenWeb
© Copyright March, 2009
Edward L. Williams & Barbara Knox