KELM, TEXAS, Located about ten miles north west of Corsicana
in Navarro County Texas,
three miles west of Emhouse on land purchased by
Thomas R. Kelm in 1854. During the later 1890s, Kelm was relocated about
one-half mile south on the Cryer Creek - Corsicana road where it enjoyed a new
spurt of growth. According to courthouse records, public schools were in
operation at Kelm as early as 1892 and a post office
opened in 1894. By 1896 the town had two churches, a grocery store, a
cotton gin, a general store and an estimated population of 400. Tinkle School was named in honor of the man
who gave the site for it. The colored school was located northwest of Kelm on
Pruitt's Ranch as well as the church. The schools continued operation until
1916. When the Trinity and Brazos Railway railway, the "Boll Weevil," from Waxahachie to
Teague was laid in 1907, residents moved the town one and one-half miles east of
Kelm near the railroad and named it Emhouse.
By 1910 Kelm was a ghost town.