World War II Stories
Page 8
Navarro County, Texas


Index || Page 1 || Page 2 || Page 3 || Page 4 || Page 5 || Page 6 || Page 7 || Page 8


Stutts, Wesley W. - Cpl.

WITH 36th DIVISION - Cpl. Wesley W. Stutts, 24, veteran of the 36th Division is now participating the fighting on the Western Front according to information received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. A. Stutts, Kerens route three. A member of the National Guard when it was mobilized and federalized in November 1940, Cpl. Stutts has participated in all the major engagements which made this division famous.  First landing in North Africa he fought throughout the Italian campaign and later stormed the beaches of Southern France.  A brother, Pvt Marvin O. Stutts, paratrooper, was recently seriously wounded in action in Belgium. [ VIEW CLIPPING ]
Note: Clipping Submitted by Fran Massey

Butler, Billy Clark - s-1c

WRITES PARENTS - Billy Clark Butler, S-1c, signalman U. S. Navy, writes his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Curry Butler, 1418 West First Avenue that his has seen action in the Philippines and has been over most of that territory.  He stated that he was doing fine and was having a better time than he expected.  He wrote of the rumors of sinking of American ships and said that they were generally wrong.  S-1c Butler is a graduate of the Corsicana high school and entered the navy on Dec. 19, 1943 and went to San Diego Cal., for boot and other training.  He has not been home since enlisting. At the time of his enlistment he was an employee of the Whitesele Brick and Lumber Co.  He also carried a Corsicana Daily Sun route for three years.

Lassiter, Wm. C. - Sgt.

WOUNDED IN ACTION - Sgt. William C. Lassiter, 28, U. S. Army, infantry, wounded in action October 24, on Leyte Island, is now in the Hammond General Hospital, Modesta, Calif.   His wife is with him and writes that he is doing fine and is now able to be up on crutches.  A brother, Pfc. Delbert L. Lassiter, stationed at Long Beach, Calif., accompanied by his wife and daughter, recently spent a three day pass visiting the wounded soldier.  This was the first time the brothers had met in two years.  Awarded the Purple Heart Decoration, Sgt. Lassiter entered the service in October 1942 and went overseas in June 1944.  The son of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Lassiter, Corsicana route one, he received his training in Oregon and California.

Green, William Wesley - Pvt.

ARRIVES OVERSEAS - Pvt. William Wesley Green, 19, U. S. Army, infantry has arrived safely on an island in the Pacific theater of operations according to information received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. W. Green, 111 North Beaton street.  Entering the service June 22, 1944, he received his training at Camp Robinson, Little Rock, Ark.  He is a 1942 graduate of the Corsicana high school.

Bohn, Wilford J. - Pvt.

WOUNDED IN ACTION - Pvt. Wilford J. Bohn, 23, U. S. Army paratrooper, was wounded in action in Belgium December 20, according to information received from the war department by his mother, Mrs. W. S. Herod, Exall Hights.  A 1939 graduate of the Corsicana high school, he entered the service in June 1942, and has been overseas six months.

McBroom, Billy G. - Pfc.

IN GERMANY - Pfc. Billy G. McBroom, 21, U. S. Army antiaircraft, is now serving somewhere in Germany and getting along fine, according to information in a recent letter received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. R. McBroom, 204 West Fourth avenue.  Previous to entering the service February 22, 1943, he was employed by the Lyon-Gray Lumber Co.   He attended the Corsicana high school and has been overseas since February 1944.

McCulloch, Curtis L. - s-1c

PROMOTED - Curtis L. McCulloch, 26, U. S. Navy, s-2-c, now stationed in the Hawaiian Islands, ahs been promoted to the rating of seaman first class, according to information received by his wife, Mrs. C. L. McCulloch, and son Curtis, 2228 West Twelfth avenue.   Entering the service May 29, 1944, he has been in Hawaii since September 1944.

Knight, Walter V. - Pfc.

SOMEWHERE IN FRANCE - Pfc. Walter V. Knight, 35, U. S. Army, artillery, is now serving somewhere in France and getting along fine, according to a letter recently received by his wife, Mrs. Margie Knight, and their 14 months old daughter, Georgia Ann, 312 North Twelfth street.  Entering the service November 29, 1943, he has been overseas since October 1944.  He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. G. G Knight, Corsicana route three.

Lancaster, Ezekiel B. - T-4

MISSING IN ACTION - T-4 Ezekiel B. Lancaster, 23, U. S. Army, is reported missing in action in Germany since December 16, according to information received by his parents Mr. and Mrs. Clide Lancaster, and brother James E. Lancaster 429 East Dewey street, Orange, former residents of Kerens.  A 1940 graduate of the Kerens high school, he entered the service August 8, 1942, and has been overseas since October 1944.

Harris, Raymond Earl & Harris J. D., Jr.

IN THE NAVY - Raymond Earl Harris entered the Navy in August and was sent to California where in the unit to which he was assigned, he found his nephew, J. D. Harris, Jr.   Neither of them knew that the other was stationed there.  Raymond Earl is the son of Mrs. D. B. Harris Kerens route three, and J. D. Harris is the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Harris, Sr., Italy.  Both men are seamen second class.

Patterson, Frank H. - T-Sgt.

WOUNDED IN ACTION - Tech. Sgt. Frank H. Patterson, 33, U. S. Army, Field Artillery, serving with the Third Army, has been wounded in action in Germany, according to information from the war department received by his wife, Mrs. Gladys Patterson, Eureka.   Prior to entering the service, March 22, 1943, he was employed at the Corsicana Cotton Mills.  He has been overseas ten months.

Thompson, John P., Jr. - Pvt.

ARRIVED OVERSEAS - Pvt. John P. Thompson, Jr., 22, U. S. Army, ordnance, has arrived safely over seas, according to a message received by his wife, Mrs. Edith Thompson Corsicana, Route 5.  He trained at Fort Jackson, S. C., after entering the armed forces, Nov. 4, 1943.  A former student at Corsicana high school, Pvt. Thompson was employed at the Corsicana Cotton Mills when he reported for military duty.  The message said the soldier was doing all right.

Starks, Alford Kelton - Pvt.

ARRIVES OVERSEAS - Pvt. Alford Kelton Starks, 23, U. S. Army, infantry, has arrived safely at his station in the Hawaiian Islands, according to information received by his wife, Mrs. Sue Starks and four month old son, Joey.  Prior to entering the service July 21, 1944, he was employed by the American Well and Prospecting for four years.  He is the son of Mr. and Mrs. S. M. Starks, Corsicana, route three.

Whitlock, Charles Arthur Jr.
Oct 11, 1919 - Dec 15, 1949

MISSING IN ACTION - Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Whitlock, 2212 West Sixth avenue, have received word from the Adjutant General, stating that their son, First Lieutenant Charles A. Whitlock, age 23 years, has been missing action since August 16.  Lieut. Whitlock, graduated from Corsicana high school in 1938 and received his commission and silver wings in the U. S. Army Air Forces at Lubbock in October 1942.  He participated in the invasion of Sicily and was a pilot of a Liberator bomber.


Capt. Whitlock Is Killed When B-29 Crashed Thursday

Capt. Charles Arthur Whitlock, 29, of Corsicana, U. S. Air Forces, was killed near Roswell, N. M., when an Air Force B-29 crashed and burned late Thursday, fatally injuring six, according to an Associated Press dispatch and advices received by his family here.

Three crewmen were seriously injured and five others walked away from the flaming wreckage with cuts and bruises.

Funeral arrangements had not been completed Friday, but members of the family said that the body would be returned to Corsicana for burial.

The bomber, according to the Associated Press, roaring into a landing at Walker Air Force base where it was stationed, sheared off a windmill and tumbled to the ground. Cause of the crash was not made public. The plane crashed two miles north of the field and four miles from downtown Roswell. The B-29 was returning from a training flight.

Whitlock was commissioned in October 1942, as a second lieutenant at the Army Air Forces base in Lubbock, and was sent to the European Theatre.

Reported missing in action, August 16, 1943, the 1938 graduate of Corsicana High School had previously participated in the invasion of Sicily and was a pilot of a bomber. He was a prisoner of the Germans, after bombing the famous Ploesti oil fields in Rumania.

Capt. Whitlock was in the same prison camp with Capt. Dan Story of Corsicana who was captured in Italy. Both were released at Moosburg in May 1945.

The ace pilot received the Distinguished Flying Cross citation for "extraordinary achievement while participating in operations against the Ploesti Oil Refineries of Rumania on August 1, 1943….in a daring attack upon highly important enemy installations….carried out duties with such skill and valour that the mission was attended with great success."

Whitlock also was awarded the Air Medal decoration for five bombing missions. Both citations were presented to his father in ceremonies at Corsicana Field, Air Activities of Texas, while he was still a prisoner.

Surviving are his wife, the former, Miss Juanita McClain of Corsicana; two daughters, Sandra and Karen Sue, all of Roswell; parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Whitlock, Sr., Corsicana; a brother, Howard Whitlock, and three sisters, Mrs. Hazel Miller, Mrs. Dolores Morehead and Mrs. Frances King, all of Corsicana.



Capt. Whitlock Funeral Services Held Here Monday

Funeral services for Capt. Charles Arthur Whitlock, 29, Corsicana, U. S. Air Forces, fatally injured in a B-29 crash near Roswell, N. M. late Thursday, were held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Missionary Baptist church. The rites were conducted by Rev. A. J. Kirkland, pastor of the church.

A military service at the grave and pallbearers were provided by the Texas National Guard and the American Legion.

Whitlock was commissioned at Lubbock in 1942, and later received the air Medal for five bombing missions in Sicily and the Distinguished Flying Cross for his heroism against the Ploesti Oil Refineries in Rumania where he was captured by the Germans in 1943. He was released in 1945.

The bomber, according to the Associated Press struck a windmill and tumbled to the ground, killing six and injuring three.

Surviving are his wife the former Miss Juanita McClain of Corsicana; two daughters, Sandra and Karon Sue Whitlock, all of Roswell; parents, Mr. and Mrs. C. A. Whitlock, Sr., Corsicana; a brother, Howard Whitlock, and three sisters, Mrs. Hazel Hunter, Mrs. Dolores Morehead and Mrs. Frances King, all of Corsicana and other relatives.

Corley Funeral Home directed.


Roxburgh, Carmen - S-Sgt.

Private First Class Frank S. Marrara, husband of Mrs. Rita Marrara, 1526 South Nineteenth Street, Philadelphia, Pa., and Staff Sergeant Carmen Roxburgh, grandson of Mr. and Mrs. George L. Roxburgh, 1719 North Beaton Street, Corsicana, Texas two reclassified combat veterans now work in a peninsular base section quartermaster typewriter repair shop in Italy a unit of the Mediterranean Theater of Operations.  Pfc. Marrara makes parts to rebuild office equipment in the shop supervised by Staff Sergeant Roxburgh.

Warner, Wesley - Pfc.

ARRIVES OVERSEAS - Pfc. Wesley Warner, 25, U. S. Army, has arrived safely overseas according to information received by his wife, Mrs. Lavalter Warner, 405 South Twenty-third and a half street.  Prior to entering the service June 30, 1944, he was employed by the Oil City Iron Works.

Nutt, Edgar W. - s-1c

ON PACIFIC SUPPLY DUTY - Coast Guardsman Edgar W. Nutt, seaman first class, son of Mr. and Mrs. B. H., Nutt of 621 North Twelfth Street, Corsicana, Texas is serving aboard a Coast Guard-manned army freight supply vessel operating in the Pacific.  His ship carries vital war material to American outposts.  He is married to the former Catherine Thompson of Rice, Texas.  They have one daughter, Cathy Ann, who is five months old.

Watkins, Thomas Derwood - Pvt.

IN THE ARMY - Pvt. Thomas Derwood Watkins, U. S. Army, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Watkins, Barry, is now stationed at Camp Van Dorn, Miss.  Entering the service nine months ago he received his basic training at Camp Wolters.  He has qualified as an expert rifleman.  His wife Mrs. Lillian Watkins, is with him at the present.

Jackson, L. L. - Capt.

IN INDIA - Captain L. L. Jackson, U. S. Army, with a veterinary company, has arrived safely in India, according to a letter received by his wife Mrs. L. L. Jackson, 621 West Park avenue.  A graduate of Texas A. & M. College, Capt. Jackson has been in the service two years.

Flynn, Eugene Lewis - Capt.

BOMBER PILOT - Capt. Eugene L. Flynn, son of Mr. and Mrs. L. F. Flynn, 2408 Park Avenue, Corsicana, was a member this week of a record breaking class of Liberator B-24 bomber pilots from the AAF Pilot School at Fort Worth Army Air Field. Captain Flynn, 25, had previously won his wings at kelly Field, San Antonio after combpleing preliminary flight training at Love Field, Dallas and Randolph Field, San Antonio.

[View Clipping with photo]


Fifteenth AAF in Italy -- Reeling from a shower of fragmentation bombs that had been released on his plane by a lucky flak hit on a B-24 above his own formation with some of the bombs embedded in the wing and in danger of momentary explosion, Capt. Eugene L. Flynn, 28, pilot of 2408 Park Row, Corsicana, Texas, after having been previously attacked by Me-109s that riddled his plane with 20 mm. shells and wounded two gunners, brought his bomber and crew back to base today in a performance which rivaled the most sensational Hollywood super-thriller.
Crew Members Wounded
Capt. Flynn and his crew had not quite arrived at the start of the bomb run over the target of La Chanoines airdrome, France, when five Me-105s attacked their plane viciously.   The left waist gunner, S-Sgt. James F. Anderman, 20, of 609 Couth Main, Rockport, Mo., was severely wounded in the thigh by a 20-mm shell coming through the tail turret, knocking out the inter-phones and electrical system and breaking the control cables at the left waist position.  Sgt. Anderman did not know how badly hurt he was at the time.   But to have called for first aid then would have meant  that one or more of the other gunners would have to leave their posts while Mc-109s were still hovering around.  He propped himself up as best he could and kept on firing at the attackers, and was rewarded by seeing one of the enemy planes in his sights nose over and go down in flames.
Shower of Bombs
The formation was now over the target and the enemy fighters left as the German ack-ack started reaching for the Liberators.  At this point the plane above  Capt. Flynn's received a freak hit in the bomb bay, which released some of its fragmentation bombs.  Capt. Flynn looked up in time to see the shower of bombs descending in his direction and threw his rudder hard over and dove sharply to the right.  But he was not able to evade all of the falling bombs which thudded upon the wings, some rolling off and others embedding themselves in the plane.  A few penetrated both wings and went all the way through with the noses of the bombs sticking out the undersides.
Part of the leading edge of the left wing was torn off and a portion of the right wing had been ripped and  one of the bombs was sticking through it.  Although the plane's response to the controls was sometimes extremely sluggish and at other times a series of jerks, it could still be flown after a fashion.
Plane Badly Damaged
Capt. Flynn made a rapid survey of the possibilities.  The men were still at their turrets because the plane had not yet passed out of the fighter zone.  The interphone was not working so Capt. Flynn sent the engineer back to tell the crew the facts.   The plane was in precarious shape; the controls might go at any time and what would happen to the bombs embedded in the wings and fuselage was anybody's guess.  No one could say whether the spinners on the bombs had revolved enough to "arm" them.   If they had, the slightest bump might cause them to detonate.  The men said Capt. Flynn, were at perfect liberty to bail out if they wanted to.  He would stay with the plane and attempt to land it with the wounded gunners.
No one jumped.  As soon as they passed out of the fighting area, first aid was given to the wounded gunner by the navigator and tail turret gunner.  Not until then was it discovered that the right waist gunner, Sgt. Henry S. Lambert, 19, of Kenora, W. Va., was also wounded in the right arm by the Me-109 attackers.
Jettisoned Equipment
To keep the plane level and to reduce weight as much as possible the crew was ordered to jettison all loose equipment overboard except their flak suits.  They were to put these on as a measure of protection against the possibility of the bombs exploding.   The navigator now in the nose charted a course for the island of Corsica, but after a conference with Capt. Flynn decided the plane could not clear the mountains and that immediate medical care was needed for the two injured waist gunners.  Added to this was the difficulty in piloting.  An increase in speed  caused the wings and tail surfaces to vibrate and the grab bomb might shift enough to tear out holes or even to detonate.  But slowing down increased the plane's tendency to roll over on its back, right wing over.  The pilot and co-pilot kept nursing the plane along, trying to hold a middle course.
Sticks to Plane
Over Corsica, Capt. Flynn again told his crew they could, if they want, "hit the silk."  It was all or none, they said.  So they stuck and headed for the Italian mainland and the nearest hospital.  They passed up their last opportunity to abandon the plane when they were over an airdrome in Southern Italy.  Instead, they rearranged their flak suits about themselves and the wounded and huddled down as close as possible to the sides of the fuselage.  Even rolling down the runway was going to be extremely dangerous, provided the plane survived the initial shock of landing.  But with a frag bomb lodged in the left rudder fin and the control cables in the left wing cut by 20 mm shells and all controls in the waist damaged or cut, Capt. Flynn landed the plane without bounce or shock.  The crew cleared the plane while still wearing their flak suits and shielding the wounded gunners, who were immediately shipped off to the base hospital.
Capt Flynn played football on Corsicana High school team of 1936.  He enlisted in the Air Corps in December, 1937, and after cadet training was an instructor at Randolph Field, Texas, and later was director of ground firing at Harlingen gunnery school.  Since joining the Fifteenth AAF in Italy, he has flown 49 combat missions over Southern and Central Europe.  On his Air Medal are four Oak Leaf Cluster.

DECORATED - Capt. Eugene L. Flynn, 26, pilot whose parents reside at 2408 Park Row, Corsicana, Texas, has been awarded the fourth Oak Leaf Cluster to the Air Medal, it was announced by 15th Army Air Force Headquarters.   Capt. Flynn received the award in the words of the citation "for meritorious achievement in aerial flight while participating in sustained operational activities against the enemy." He is stationed in Italy with a 15th AAF B-24 Liberator Heavy Bombardment Group which has been bombing German-held targets in Austria, Romania and France.  Capt. Flynn was an instructor at Randolph Field, Texas for one year and a half and Director of Ground Firing at Harlingen Gunnery School for one year after that.   He has two brothers, Jack E. and Paul T., in the service.



SAN ANTONIO, March 31, - (AP) - Second Lieut. Eugene L. Flynn, 23, of Corsicana (above), and Flying Cadet Lewis L. Bowen, 21, of Champaign, Ill., were injured yesterday when their basic training plane crashed into a plowed field near Randolph Field.
Field officials said Flynn suffered a fractured right leg, bruised and cuts on the face, and Bowen a broken right collarbone, cuts and bruises.

[view clipping]


World War II pilot saved lives of crew

FORT WORTH -- As an Air Force pilot in World War II, Eugene Flynn often listened to the big-band music broadcast by the BBC over his radio.
Orchestras led by Glenn Miller, the Dorsey Brothers and Harry James often accompanied Mr. Flynn in the cockpit of his B-24 Liberator, blocking out the sound of bombs and gunfire, his daughter Diane Flynn said.
"He told us that he would put his headphones on to drown out the racket," Diane Flynn said. "That's probably why he went deaf in his old age."
Mr. Flynn remained a huge fan of 1940s music and often took his wife dancing when the bands came to Texas. In the last years of his life, Mr. Flynn got hundreds of cable channels on his television that he never used except one -- that played big-band music.
Mr. Flynn died of cancer Wednesday. He was 88. Funeral services are planned for 1 p.m. Monday at Ridglea United Methodist Church.
At his funeral, his family plans to play Moonlight Serenade by Glenn Miller -- one of Mr. Flynn's favorites.
Mr. Flynn was born March 14, 1918, in Corsicana. He enlisted in the Army Air Corps in 1937 and was a senior flight instructor before World War II, his family said. During the war, he completed 49 combat missions in the B-24 Liberator throughout Europe, relatives said. During his 30-year career, he was awarded the Silver Star, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters, the Air Force Commendation Medal, the Presidential Unit Citation and numerous other commendations, his family said.
Mr. Flynn is well-known for saving the lives of his 10 crew members after the B-24 they were riding in was hit by enemy fighters and showered by fragmentation bombs that embedded into the aircraft's wings, according to his family and a Web site of Navarro County World War II stories.
Once over allied territory, Mr. Flynn instructed his crew to bail out, but they remained loyal to their captain, said his son, Mike Flynn.
After burning off as much fuel as possible, Mr. Flynn nursed the damaged B-24 to the smoothest landing of his life, Mike Flynn said. It was his 49th mission.
"The plane was so badly damaged that it went straight to the junkyard," Mike Flynn said. "Normally he would have had to fly 50 missions, but they told him he was done. They were amazed he was even able to fly it back to base."
Mr. Flynn married LaVerne Lind in 1946, and they enjoyed traveling. They were married 56 years before LaVerne Flynn died in 2002. Mr. Flynn retired in 1968 as a captain, and went to work for General Dynamics (now Lockheed Martin) in Fort Worth. He put his two daughters and son through college and then finished his bachelor's degree in business administration from Texas Wesleyan University in 1983. He was 65.
"It was just a personal achievement he wanted for himself," Diane Flynn said. "The young kids and teachers helped him along. He was so proud of his class ring."
Besides being a decorated war hero, Mr. Flynn was a hero to his family, said daughter Pam Dorrell.
"He was a wonderful man, and I leaned on him for strength and guidance," she said. "He was part of a dying breed of heroic men."

Melissa Vargas, 817-685-3888 [email protected]



Curry, Alton A. - Lt.

RECEIVES OVERSEAS ORDERS - Lieut. Alton A. Curry, U. S. Army Air Forces, first pilot on a B-24 bomber, pictured above with his wife, Mrs. Maglien Curry, 658 West Fifth avenue, has received his overseas assignment and is enroute to the battle front.  Commissioned Feb. 17, 1943 at Camp Hood after attending officers candidate school, he received his wings at Ellington Field May 23, 1944.  He has previously been stationed at Jones Field, Majors Field, Westover Field, Springfield, Mass., and Mitchell Field, Long Island, N. Y. Mrs Curry left her husband last Tuesday at Mitchell Field.  Lieut. Curry is the son of Mr. and Mrs. V. A. Curry, Tallulah, La.  He entered the service April 9, 1941.

Garlington, John W. - Sgt.

WOUNDED IN ACTION - Sgt. John W. Garlington, 22, U. S. Army Infantry, was wounded in action on Leyte island in the Philippines December 8, according to information received from the war department by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. D. M. Garlington, 1562 West Fifth, avenue.  Entering the service October 1942, he has been overseas since June 1944.   He attended the Mildred high school.

Gibson, James - Sgt.

TWICE WOUNDED - Sergeant James Gibson, an infantryman of Corsicana, was wounded twice while serving overseas with the fighting 96th Infantry Division once by a Jap ambush.   He was in combat for 30 days on Leyte.  Shown as Letterman General Hospital, San Francisco, he has been in the Army since October 17, 1942.

Merrell, Howard - Pvt.

ARRIVES OVERSEAS - Pvt. Howard Merrell, 29, U. S. Army, Combat Engineers has arrived safely in the Philippines according to information received by his wife and two children, Rice.

Nevill, Dariel B. - Pfc.

WOUNDED - Pfc. Dariel B. Nevill, 24, anti-aircraft, U. S. Army, was slightly wounded in action in Italy, May 18, a telegram received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Nevill, Corsicana, Route 2, recently revealed.  He had served in Tunesia Sicily and Italy, and prior to entering the army was in the CCC Camp.  He landed in North Africa, Nov 15, 1942 after being in the army almost a year.  He has sent $1,200 in U. S. Bonds and $212 in money to his father who has placed them in a bank for his son on his return from the war.


Navarro County Soldier Home For Respite From War
Pfc. Daniel B. Neville, 25, U. S. Army, veteran of North Africa, Sicily, Italy and France campaigns, is home on a 30-day furlough, beginning Monday and will return to his outfit in France after his visit.
Pvt. Neville has been in the army three years, and has been overseas almost two and a half years. He said that the anti-aircraft outfit to which he is attached guarded airfields and port installations in the North African and Sicilian campaigns, but in Italy and France had been on the front lines with the artillery units against the Nazis.
The returned soldier, who attended the Bryan and Zion’s Rest schools before going to the CCC camp, wears the European ribbon, the Good Conduct Ribbon, Purple Heart decoration and the Bronze Star decoration.
Pvt. Neville received the Bronze Star for bravery in action in going into a minefield to rescue a wounded buddy, receiving a slight wound on that occasion, May 15, 1944, for which he received Purple Hear decoration, too. The wounded buddy did not survived, Pvt. Neville said.
The soldier is visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Neville, Corsicana, Route 2. He arrived in the states Saturday and got home Sunday night. He returns to his outfit in France—Seventh Army—at the end of his furlough.


Slaughter, Perry Leon
May 27, 1925 - March 27, 1945


Funeral services for Perry Leon Slaughter, 19, merchant marine, whose body arrived here Wednesday morning for re-interment will be held from the McCammon Funeral Chapel Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock. Burial will be in Oakwood cemetery. Dr. Jared I. Cartlidge, pastor of the First Baptist church, will conduct the rites. Johnson – Wiggins post No. 22, American Legion will have charge of the military rites at the grave and will provide pallbearers.

Slaughter, quartermaster in the merchant marine, was accidentally killed in Bermuda while on shore leave, March 27, 1945. The body arrived in New York several days ago with a contingent from the Atlantic and European Sectors and came to Corsicana by train from Fort Worth.

Surviving are the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Claude Slaughter, Sr., 626 South Sixteenth street; a brother, Claude Slaughter, Jr., merchant marine, Corsicana; two sisters, Mrs. Aldine Stone, California and Miss Joyce Slaughter, Corsicana; a grandmother, Mrs. A. J. Smith, Waco, and other relatives.




Funeral services for Perry Leon Slaughter, 19, merchant marine, were held Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock from the McCammon Funeral Chapel. Burial was in Oakwood cemetery. The rites were conducted by Dr. Jared I. Cartlidge, pastor of the First Baptist Church, while military rites under the auspices of the American Legion were held at the grave. Legionnaires were pallbearers.

A quartermaster, Slaughter was accidentally killed in Bermuda while on shore leave March 27, 1945. His body arrived in New York several days ago and reached Corsicana Wednesday from Fort Worth.

Surviving are the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Claude Slaughter, Sr., 626 South Sixteenth street; a brothers, Claude Slaughter, Jr., merchant marine, Corsicana; two sisters, Mrs. Aldine Stone, California, and Miss Joyce Slaughter, Corsicana; grandmother, Mrs. A. J. Smith, Waco and other relatives.




The body of Perry Leon Slaughter, 19, is scheduled to arrive in Corsicana Wednesday morning for re-interment. Funeral services will be held Thursday. The American Legion will provide military services at the grave.

A quartermaster in the Merchant Marine, Slaughter was accidentally killed March 27, 1945, while on shore leave in Bermuda, according to information received here following his death.

The body arrived in New York several days ago and was sent to Fort Worth with the contingent of Texans returned from the Atlantic and European sectors.

Surviving are the parents, Mr. and Mrs. Claude Slaughter, Sr., 626 South Sixteenth street; a brothers, Claude Slaughter, Jr., merchant marine, Corsicana; two sisters, Mrs. Aldine Stone, California, and Miss Joyce Slaughter, Corsicana; grandmother, Mrs. A. J. Smith, Waco and other relatives.

McCammon Funeral Home will direct.



Corsicanan Among War Dead Brought To U. S. Friday

WASHINGTON, Oct. 30.—(AP)—The bodies of four Texans were among the 75 war dead being returned today from Fort Bell cemetery, Bermuda, aboard the USAT Stevens Victory, docking at Brooklyn.

They included: Slaughter, Perry L. Match Mar., Mrs. Alva Slaughter, 811 W. Eleventh avenue, Corsicana.
Perry Slaughter, 19, quartermaster, merchant marine, was accidentally killed in April 1945, while on shore leave in the Bermudas. His body is to be returned to Corsicana for re-burial.

Surviving are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Claude Slaughter, Sr., 811 West Eleventh Avenue; several brothers and sisters and other relatives.

Slaughter enlisted while a student in Corsicana High School



ACCIDENTALLY KILLED - Perry Slaughter, 19, quartermaster, Merchant Marine the past two years, was accidentally killed Tuesday while on short leave in the Bermudas, according to a telegram received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Claude Slaughter, Sr., 811 West Eleventh Avenue, Corsicana. Funeral services were held there Thursday, the message stated.  He enlisted in the Merchant Marine while a student in Corsicana High School  Surviving are the parents, a brother, Claude Slaughter, Jr., Merchant Marine, home on furlough; two sisters, Mrs. C. M. O'Donnell, San Diego, Calif., and Joyce Slaughter, Corsicana; grand mothers, Mrs. G. A. Brooks, Zion's Rest, and Mrs. A. J. Smith, Waco; an uncle Capt. Hoyt Smith, Salvation Army, Corsicana, and other relatives.


Walker, James M.

JOINS HUSBAND - Mrs. James M. Walker, the former Dot Barnes, has joined her husband J. M. Walker, AOM 3-3 Navy Postoffice Department, in Seattle, Washington.  Walker has been in the service about two years.

Jones, Julia McConnico

WOMEN IN UNIFORM Kerens Woman One Of Many Female Veterans To Serve Country
Corsicana Daily Sun Monday May 31, 1999

Memorial Day conjures visions of soldiers in uniform. Some soldiers filled out their uniforms better than others. Women in uniform numbered over 500,000 during World War II.
Kerens native Julia McConnico Jones joined the Navy Waves in 1944. The Waves were a division of the Navy for its female volunteers. Although  the Navy had a policy of not sending its women overseas, Jones served a vital role in the war effort. "I was an instructor in aerial gunnery," said Jones. "At the time it was a kind of new thing." After training at Hunter College in Queens, N. Y. Jones went to Pensacola, Fla. and then on to Corpus Christi to teach flyers how to identify the enemy and calculate their fire.
Though she rarely went up in the planes, she worked extensively with flight simulators. "They had to judge if they were shooting the enemy or us. They used this bean of light to figure out if they would hit the target. They would have to figure out to go a little ahead of it, according to how fast the plane was going," she said. "It was hard."
Jones said she was chosen for the assignment due to her education, having just completed two years at Baylor University. She took all of her math to get it out of the way. The War Department utilized Jones' skills as a mathematician to help train the pilots. Jones had also taken Spanish courses which came in handy. "I ended up teaching some cadets from Argentina and Chile," she said. "They would teach me a little Spanish every day before I taught them. That was fun."
According to Jones, all the pilots were very respectful and treated her well. She said there were many female instructors in Corpus Christi, so the pilots were accustomed to dealing with women. "It was scary time, but a very pleasant adventure," said Jones. Most men were on the military installations. For Jones, that meant a full social schedule.
"There were plenty of dates," she said. "You dated the sailors and the officers. We could go into town. We had lounges where you could sit and talk. We had a big swimming pool. There was also a restaurant beside the mess hall. There were plenty of things to do."
The decision to join the military came easily for the Baylor sophomore. "It was really spooky. During that time, you just felt like you needed to be doing something, not just going to school," said Jones. "It was different then, everybody was in the service and you didn't know how long it was going to last. I think people our age at that time were very patriotic."
D-Day finally came. According to Jones, it was a little anticlimactic. "You knew that it was coming. It wasn't just a sudden end," she said. "I missed everybody. I missed the excitement. I missed it a lot." Jones remained in Corpus Christi training pilots until the end of the war. After the war ended in 1946, Jones went to the University of Houston to complete her education. She saw a familiar face around campus and recognized him from the naval base. "He just looked kind of familiar to me. He did the same job I did for a while, then he went on to officer's school, then to be a navigator," she said. The young coed began dating the former naval pilot named Bob Jones. After getting her degree in 1948, Jones married in 1951. The couple went on to have two children. Jones has three grandchildren and one great-grandchild. "I'm glad women veterans are getting some recognition now," she said. "I taught them (the pilots). They fought the war, but they had to go through my class."
[Submitted by Bob Jones, son of Julia McConnico Jones - Aug 1999]

Farmer, Denton


PURDON, Oct 26 (Spl) Staff Sgt. Denton Farmer, son of Mrs. Ruth Farmer and husband of Mrs. Joyce Farmer, Abilene, was killed in France June 12.  His Purple Heart has been received by his widow.  He was a 90th Division infantry man.
[View Clipping]
[Submitted by      - Aug 1999]

Tally, Glen Wesley

WOUNDED IN ACTION - Pfc Glen W. Tally, 21, U. S. Army Infantry has been wounded in action in Germany, according to a letter received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Claude Tally, here.   Pfc. Tally wrote from a hospital in England and stated that he was getting along nicely.  He did not give the date of his injuries. He has been in the armed service nearly two years and overseas since October 1.  He is a graduate of the Corsicana high school and was employed by the Trinity Motor Lines before entering the armed services.  A message received later from the war department stated that Pfc. Tally was wounded on Dec. 3.
[View Clipping]
[Submitted by - Aug 1999]

Obituary; Resthaven Memorial Park

WWII Vets Get CHS Sheepskins
Corsicana Daily Sun 12/22/2001

By LOYD COOK/Daily Sun Staff

It was a lot of years in coming, but Marvin Hanks and Troy Allison got their high school diplomas Thursday night.

Corsicana Independent School District Board of Trustees awarded the duo their sheepskins, part of a government program allowing their issuance to those veterans who missed the completion of their high school years because they served their nation.

Board president Donna Ralston presented the diplomas.

"I want to tell you what an honor it is for this board to present you with this diplomas," she said. "And what an honor it is to recognize you both for the sacrifices you made."

Hanks served in the Navy during the end of World War II, then re-enlisted in the Air Force for the Korean conflict. He said he was pleased with the new program.

"I've waited a long time to get this and have always regretted not getting it," he said of his high school diploma. "I don't consider what I did to be a sacrifice."

Allison, who entered the service at age 17, was a part of the first-day invasion force at Normandy Beach and fought at the Battle of the Bulge.

"I didn't get a scratch on me because I can run," said Allison, drawing general laughter from the board and those in attendance.

Hanks joked that if he hadn't been too old, he probably would have re-enlisted for service in Vietnam.

The Corsicana High School Choir sang "The Star Spangled Banner" in their honor, then added a Christmas carol in the spirit of the season. An ensemble from the high school's band performed three carols as part of the ceremonies.

Both groups gathered to perform even though the CISD had already let out for the holidays that afternoon.

Allison summed up the pair's feelings about the awarding of diplomas as he addressed the students.

"This (diploma) is worth a bucket of gold to me," he said, holding the blue-encased diploma high in the air. "Stay in school."

Loyd Cook may be contacted via e-mail at [email protected]


Former Corsicanans Now in Armed Service of United States

Major and Mrs. John E. Weiler, and children, John, Jr. and Louis, were spend-the-night guests in the home of their aunt, Mrs. W. D. Fountain, on Thursday en route from Austin where they visited in the home of Major Weiler's parents, Col. and Mrs. Harold Weiler, of Ft. Knox, Ky. where Major Weiler has been stationed as executive officer of the 87th Armored Field Artillery Battalion since April.

Prior to his Kentucky assignment, Major Weiler had spent 15 months with the armed forces in Panama.

Lieut Harold J. Weiler of the U.S.N. Air Service, and until recently a fighter pilot on an aircraft carried in the African theater of war, is now on duty in Ordnance Procurement headquarters in Washington, D.C.  Mrs. Weiler has joined her husband in the capital city.

Major John E. Weiler and Lieut. Harold J. Weiler, Jr. are native Corsicanans, and are both the sons of Col. and Mrs. Harold J. Weiler of Austin.


  • Corsicana Daily Sun - June 26, 1943

Man Trained at Corsicana Field Raids Germany

Corsicanans were interested in the recent dispatches from the fighting front which told of the experiences of Lieut. Lyster Brumley of Georgetown, Texas, who has been piloting Flying Fortresses over Germany recently.  An article in Friday's Dallas News told in detail of his recent participation in Tuesday's raid on Huls.

Local interest in Lieut. Brumley comes from the fact that he received a part of his training for combat at the Corsicana Field and has many friends here who are wishing for him the best of luck.

Lieut. Brumley served as best man in the wedding of Lieut and Mrs. C. J. Adams at the First Baptist church last spring, and was associated with Lieut. Adams in schools at Waco, Corsicana, Ellington Field, and in Florida and Idaho.

Mrs. Adams it will be remembered is the former Miss Sara Pearson who now resides in Boise Idaho, where Lieut. Adams in an instructor in the Air Forces.


  • Corsicana Daily Sun - June 26, 1943

IN UNIFORM - CLIPPINGS - June 26, 1943

James Ross, RM third class is now with the United States Navy overseas.  Ross was in the State Orphans Home graduation class in 1940.

Cpl. Melvin F. Ritch was recently transferred to the Army Air Forces Technical Training Command Willow run Air Base, Ypsilani, Mich

Lewis A. Dugger, son of Mrs. L. E. Dugger, is now ground crew in Amarillo, Texas

William P. Howard, son of Mrs. C. D. Howard of 110 South Twentieth Street, Corsicana, today wears the silver wings of an aerial gunner in the Army Air Forces.  He received the right to wear the coveted insignia and was promoted to the grade of Sergeant after successfully completing training at the Army Air Forces Flexible Gunnery School at Tyndall Field, Florida.  He was thoroughly trained in operations of .30 and .50 caliber machine guns, first on ground ranges and later in the air, in preparation for service as a crew member of a bomber.

Henry W. Scoggins, son of Mr. and Mrs J. H. Scoggins, 1058 South Seventeenth Street, has graduated from an intensive course in airplane mechanics at Sheppard Field, near Wichita Falls, Texas, one of the many schools of the Army Air Forces Technical Training Command which trains the specialist technicians to maintain our mighty air armada.

Pvt. Jerold Jones left Friday for Camp Shelby, Miss., after a fifteen day furlough spent with his mother, Mrs. Lillie Robertson.

PFC. Herschel Wilson is spending a ten-day furlough with his wife and baby son.  He is stationed at Camp Barkley.


11/26/2003 INSIDE NAVARRO COUNTY: Mildred School honors Vets (w/list of Veterans)

From Staff Reports

We like to think of it as honoring those who serve our country by presenting themselves at our country's beck and call.

Mildred's Veterans Day Ceremony was held on Asby Field last Tuesday and the program began with a flyover by Bobby Grantham. Mr. Grantham flew his P-19 Fairchild over Asby Field raising cheers from entire student body, faculty, and visitors. Shawn Skaggs played "Star Spangled Banner" as a trumpet solo as J.P. Nichols and Josh McCracken raised the nation's flag. J.P. is an Eagle Scout, and Josh is a Star Scout.

The elementary students sang beautiful versions of "God Bless America" and "God Bless the USA."

The guest speaker was J.P. Nichols, student council senior class representative. J. P.'s speech was a very moving and dramatic speech that spoke of veterans. He especially honored the veterans by telling them they were all soldiers once, and are still soldiers now.

Each veteran in attendance was recognized by having his or her name called out, with branch of service, and time served during war or peacetime. The student council presented each veteran with a personalized "certificate of appreciation," and the elementary students made each veteran a handprint with the inscription, "Because of You we are Free."

The audience was given a background on the bugle call TAPS. A moment of silence, followed by the playing of TAPS by Shawn Skaggs, ended the ceremony.

Red, white and blue balloons were released to honor the veterans, along with a single black balloon to honor and remember the Missing in Action and Prisoners of War. As "America the Beautiful" played, the veterans were escorted by the student council to the library, where a reception was held in their honor. The veterans were given a chance to visit with each other, and all seemed to really enjoy the time they were able to spend with each other.


On Nov. 11, Mildred ISD honored over 42 veterans in attendance at its Veterans Day Ceremony. Veterans in attendance included veterans from World War II to Desert Storm to Service Veterans. In attendance were the following:

Charles Bancroft, service veteran, Navy doctor; Rodney Bancroft, Vietnam War, Army; George Baechtle, service veteran, Marine Corp; Jim Bonner, World War II, Marine Corp; Robert Boyd, World War II, Army; Vernon Boyd, service veteran, Air Force; Franklin Boyte, Korean War, Army; Lois Bradford for Ira Bradford, World War II; Bill Brown, World War II, Navy; Louis Cobb, World War II, Army; Robert Conger, Desert Storm, Marine Corp; Pat Craddock, Vietnam War, Air Force; Jeffery Scott Faltys, Desert Storm, Air Force; P.D. Fullwood, World War II, Navy; Wayne Godsey, World War II, Navy; Bobby Grantham, service veteran, Army and National Guard; Charles Harris, World War II, Air Force; Floyd Henderson, service veteran, Navy; Buck Hodge, World War II, Army; Willie Hodge, World War II, Coast Guard; Lynn Heugatter, Vietnam War, Army; Tommy Hulsey, Vietnam War, Army; Donald Jock, Vietnam conflict, Air Force; Calvin Knauth, Korean War, Army; Charles McCarter, World War II, Army; Doyle McKanna, World War II, Army; W. M. Montgomery, World War II, Army; Bill Olsen, World War II, Japan & Philippines, Army; Robert Pope, Desert Storm, Navy

Bill Rascoe, World War II; Jerry Reeder, Korean War; Charles Reynolds, service veteran, Navy; Teresa Roper, service veteran, Air Force; Clayton Smith, service veteran, Air Force; Eben D. Stover, service veteran, National Guard; Eben E. Stover, service veteran, Air Force; Rick Thompson, Vietnam conflict, Army; Bruce Venable, Desert Storm, Air Force and Air Force Reserves; James Venable, Vietnam, Air Force; C. T. Vinson, World War II, Army; Keith Weaver, service veteran, Vietnam conflict, Air Force; Mike Wisdom, Vietnam, Army

Raymond Earl Harris

IN THE NAVY - Raymond Earl Harris (right) entered the Navy in August and was sent to California where in the unit to which he was assigned he fund his nephew, J. D. Harris, Jr. (left(.  Neither of them knew that the other was stationed there.  Raymond Earl is the son of Mrs. D. B. Harris, Kerens route three and J. D. is the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Harris, Sr., Italy.  Both men are seamen second class.  [ VIEW CLIPPING ]
Note: Clipping Submitted by Fran Massey

Henry J. Paul - PROMOTED

Among the best liked and most diligent worker in the service battery at Camp Blanding is Corporal Henry J. Paul of Kerens, according [to] the public relations officer for the battery.

Corporal Paul is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Wesley Monroe Paul of the Rural Shade community, and entered federal service as a member of the Kerens unit in the National Guard, which entered federal service in November 1940.  Upon the formation of the service battery he transferred and has been in the battery and through hard work recently received a promotion to Corporal.

He is now working in the motor maintenance section.

Other Kerens boys in the service Battery are Merrill Sherrill, Joe Baker, John R. Allen, Vernon <???>.  [ VIEW CLIPPING ]
Note: Clipping Submitted by Fran Massey


Floyd Cruther


Pvt. Floyd Cruther, we understand has been given a medical discharge from army service. He arrived here first of this week.



  • Submitted by Dana Stubbs

  • The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 26, 1943

Carroll Lee Saunders


Carroll Lee Saunders of Camp Clipper California has returned home. He has been given a honorable discharge from army service.



  • Submitted by Dana Stubbs

  • The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 26, 1943

Robert Rudolph McClure


Somewhere in France
Robert R. McClure, U. S. Army, regimental bugler, was a member of the American
forces landing on the beaches of the Cherbourg peninsula and is now fighting
somewhere in France. The son of Mr. and Mrs. John McClure, Blooming Grove, he
volunteered for service March 18, 1942.
Note: July 10, 1944


Pfc. [Robert] Rudolph McClure of Camp Barkeley who was at home last week, visiting his parents Mr. and Mrs. John McClure left Monday for Dallas to visit with his sister Miss Emma. He will also stop in Fort Worth for a brief visit with his brother and family, Mr. and Mrs. Johnnie B. McClure.
The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 26, 1943



Grover Melton, Jr


Pvt. Grover Melton, Jr. visited his parents Mr. and Mrs. Grover Melton Sr. Saturday



  • Submitted by Dana Stubbs

  • The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 26, 1943

Steve Hitt, Jr.

Sgt. Steve Hitt, Jr. of Camp Ruker, Ala, is at home on furlough. Steve has been in the service for the past two and one half years.

Note: Same paper under Dresden And Vicinity Items

Sgt. Steve Hit, of Alabama, is home on a 10 day furlough.


  • Submitted by Dana Stubbs

  • The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 26, 1943

Richard R. Dick" Massengale

Lieut. Dick Massengale who has been at home on furlough, left Dallas Saturday for Tampa, Florida.

  • Submitted by Dana Stubbs

  • The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 26, 1943

Charles F. Lewis


Ensign C.F. Lewis, a Navy flyer, is doing ocean patrol work from a station on the island of Puerto Rico



  • Submitted by Dana Stubbs

  • The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 26, 1943

Ethon Melton

Sgt. Ethon Melton, of Columbia, S.C. is at home on Furlough.


  • Submitted by Dana Stubbs

  • The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 26, 1943

Ethan W. Melton




Ethan W. Melton

June 19.—(Sp!.)—Flying as an aerial gunner on 68 combat missions against the Italians, Germans and Japs, and receiving the award of the Air Medal Is the record piled up by Staff Sgt. Ethan W. Melton, 25, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ernest C. Melton of Frost, Texas, before he was put on the list for a possible return to the United States on the rotation policy.

IS Months Overseas.
"Tex," as he ie known to the men of the famous "Earthquakers" group of B-25 medium bombers
of the 10th USAAF operating in the Strategic Air Force, Eastern Air Command, has gone half
way around the world since leaving his father's cotton farm in Texas. In the 13 months he has
spent overseas, he has flown in combat missions over Italy, Yugoslavia and Burma. Reminiscing
over his travels and experiences, the young 25-year old gunner recalled his most exciting mission.
'It was Guildonia airdrome in Italy. That was the one. I saw things there that would make a pig sick," he commented.

Planes Hit.
'Ack ack was heavy, intense and accurate. That was the day every one of our planes got holed,
My bombardier was wounded, and the load ship's bombardier was hit before dropping the bombs.
They called the mission pretty successful. We hit a warehouse and started a fire. I was sure
glad to get back," he laughed. Asked about the lighter side of life overseas, Melton most enjoyed
a seven-day leave at a rest camp on the island of Capri, just off the Italian mainland.


"We visited one Itallian home and spend tnew Years Night there.

We rung it in and out. THey cold speak a little English, and they told us about the Germans who had been there. Of course they said the German were "no huo-no."


Beautiful Scenery
"Tex" told of the matchless scenery and of the beautiful villas of various prominent English
and American authors who lived on the island.
"One restaurant WP. visited," he remarked, "had the names of the German Field Marshal Romell and of Italy's dictator, Mussolini signed in the register. Of course we signed our names, too.
It was a pretty nice restaurant, 3ven had a nickeleodeon a regular juke box. You put in your 'lires' and away it went," Melton added.
Since graduating from Blooming Grovi'. High school in 1937, Melton has been farming with his father near Frost.
"After the war, I'm going back to farming," he said. "I've already bought a farm of my own
down there."


Murray McCormick


Captain Murray McCormick of Wickengburg, Arizona arrived Wednesday for a few days visit here with home folk. Captain McCormick is in the glider division of the U.S. Air Corps.



  • Submitted by Dana Stubbs

  • The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 26, 1943


Robert B. Smith



Cpl. Robert B. Smith who is in the US Army Air Force, stationed at Camp Courtissair, Buffalo, New York, graduated June 22 from the Camp Courtissair training school operated by Curtis-Wright Corporation Airplane Division, Buffalo, New York. He is now a member of the Army Air Forces Technical Training Detachment stationed at the school.
The Blooming Grove Times, Friday July 2, 1943


Pvt. Robert B. Smith is now serving with the Air Transport Command. He has been transferred from Camp Luna, N.M. to Miami, Florida, where he is taking a course in a plane mechanic school.
The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 19, 1943



Joe Dean Huffstutler

Lt. Joe Dean Huffstutler, of San Antonio, visited here first of the week with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Huffstutler. He was in route to Shawnee, Oklahoma where he is to serve on the Administration Staff Ground Corps Training School.
The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 19, 1943
Sgt. W. E. Huffstutler, of Fort Sill, Oklahoma, is expected to arrive here Friday for a week end visit.
The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 19, 1943


Ray Russell

Sergeant Ray Russell, a member of the United States Marines, appeared before the school assembly Wednesday afternoon, giving a few of the thrilling and breathtaking experiences of his ship, the Boise which played a dramatic part in the present war crisis. The famous Boise was Christened, not with the traditional champagne but with water from the Snake River in Idaho. Sergeant Russell concluded talk with an explanation of the Marine uniform.


  • Submitted by Dana Stubbs
  • The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 19, 1943

James Edwyn Hinkle

All Clippings for James Edwin Hinkle moved to his Biography Page

John Sidney Moore

Pvt. John Sidney Moore, son of Mr. and Mrs. Stanford Moore, is now stationed somewhere in Alaska. He states in a letter to his parents that he has been promoted to First Class Private and has transferred to the machine gun squadron.


R. D. Scott


Ensign Scott

R.D. Scott, after four hard months of training at Chicago, received his commission as Ensign on October 30th. He ordered her “Times” sent to Murchison last week, so we assume that he is at home for a short vacation, after which he is to report to the new ship yards at Pascagoula, Miss. for training of personnel.


  • Submitted by Dana Stubbs
  • The Blooming Grove Times, Friday November 13, 1942

George William Patterson

Cpl. G.W. Patterson, of Greige Field, Spokane Washington, and Lt. Dick Massengale of Luke Field, Arizona, arrived Wednesday for a visit with friends and relatives. This is their first trip home since their induction more than a year ago.


  • The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 12, 1943

  • Submitted by Dana Stubbs

  • Obituary for George William Patterson

Jack Smith Griffin

The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 19, 1943

Capt. Jack Griffin, who has been home several days left Wednesday afternoon for Oklahoma City. He was accompanied as far as Dallas by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Griffin.
The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 19, 1943

Captain Jack Giffin, former graduate of the Blooming Grove High School, addressed the students and faculty members of the local high school last Friday, February 12, at the assembly hour. The subject of his address was “A Bombing Raid.”

He named the men who were members of a bombing crew, listing the respective duties if each man. Then Captain Griffin, in an interesting manner, gave the details of a bombing raid until the men landed from their return trip with a report trip with a report if the raid for their superior officers. Captain Griffin’s address was not only interesting but it was very educational. It was a real thrill just to look at one who has seen active service for Uncle Sam.


The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 12, 1943

Capt. Jack S. Griffin, US Army Air Corps, who has been stationed in England for the last several months, came by home this week on a surprise visit to his parents Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Griffin. He flew to Washington where he reported to the War Department for orders. After a few days rest here with his family and visiting friends he will proceed on his mission. He states with conviction that Texas and Navarro County and Blooming Grove is the best looking place he has seen yet.


Mavis Griffin


The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 19, 1943

Lt. Mavis Griffin of camp Swift was here Sunday night and Monday, visiting her parents, and brother, Captain Jack Griffin who was at home for several days.



The Blooming Grove Times, Friday November 13, 1942
Miss Mavis Griffin, who has been on the nurses’ staff at the University hospital at Ann Arbor Michigan for the past five years, has resigned her position and returned to Texas. She is with the State Health department doing Public Health nursing and left for her new assignment October 1.


The Blooming Grove Times, Friday November 13, 1942
Joins Army Nurse Corps
Miss Mavis Griffin left Monday for Camp Swift, Texas, where she was inducted into the US Army Nurse’ Corps with the rank and commission of Second Lieutenant. Lt. Griffin received her training at the Jefferson Davis hospital, Houston, and after graduation there went into practice at the University hospital, Ann Arbor, Mich. For the past year she has been doing Public Health Nurse Work in Detroit, Mich. and Austin.
She has asked the Army for a Foreign Service assignment and hopes to receive it after the usual period of orientation is served. Her brothers, Lt. James R. Griffin and Lt. Jack S. Griffin both have preceded her in foreign service and are now serving in unnamed areas over there.


Woodie Harrison

The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 19, 1943

Pvt. Woodie Harrison, of Berkeley, California; Cpl. Bill Harrison, Killeen, and James Harrison, of Dallas visited their sisters, Mrs. Jeff Smith, last week.


A. Z. Warner


The Blooming Grove Times, Friday February 19, 1943

Pvt. A. Z. Warner and his wife, of Waco, and Mrs. H. H. Crawford, if Corsicana, were recent visitors in the H. S. Crawford home.


Blake, Johnny

IN ENGLAND - Cpl. Johnny Blake, 24, U.S. Army Airforces, now stationed somewhere in England, is in excellent health and getting along fine according to recent letters received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. R. K. Blake, Frost.  Entering the service December 27, 1941, he has been overseas since December 1943.  He attended Blooming Grove high school.
View Clipping

Harris, Kelton B.

Wounded Corsicana Soldier Recovering English Hospital

A U. S. General Hospital England—Hit in the right arm by shrapnel from a German artillery shell near Metz, Frances, Private First Class Kelton Harris, of 600 North Commerce street, Corsicana, Texas, is now recovering at this United States army general hospital in England.

His ward surgeon, Capt. John J. Kanengeiser, of Woodhaven, L. I., New York, said, “He is making a rapid recovery.”

Pfc. Harris, an infantry jeep driver, said he was moving up to the front lines when a lone German shell landed nearby.

“A medic in a jeep behind me dressed my wound as soon as I was hit and I was sent to an aid station,” he said.

“After stopping at several field hospitals for emergency treatment, I was sent to England by plane.”

Pfc. Harris was a clerk for an Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company store in Corsicana before entering the army in October, 1942. His wife, Mrs. Lottie Harris, lives at the North Commerce street address. He has received the Purple Heart.



Kelton Harris Wounded in French Invasion
Pfc. Kelton Harris, 35, U. S. Army, was wounded in action in France Sept. 8, according to information received from the war department by his wife, Mrs. Lottie Harris, former Corsicana resident, now employed at the Red Cross Center, Dallas.
Prior to entering the service in October 1942, Harris was employed at the A and P. Grocery. He has been overseas since April 1944. He was fighting with Gen. Patton's Third Army when wounded.


Harrison, Charles H.

Pvt. C. H. Harrison Wounded In Action French Invasion
Pvt. Charles Henry Harrison, 20, U. S. Army, infantry, 79th Division, was seriously wounded in action, Nov. 18, in France, according to a telegram from the war department received Sunday by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Roy Harrison of Corsicana. The parents received a short letter Saturday, written by their son, Nov. 19, the day after he was wounded, stated he was in a hospital somewhere in France with a shrapnel wound in the hip.
Pvt. Harrison, a 1941 graduate of Corsicana High School, had been engaged in farming and stock raising when he entered the armed forces March 19, 1944, and went overseas Sept. 14, 1944.

English, Jerry R.

SPECIAL TRAINING - Airman Jerry R. English, son of Mr. and Mrs. Beldon English, Frost, has been selected for training at Sheppard  Air Force Base as an Air Force aircraft maintenance specialist. He recently completed basic at Lackland AFB, Texas. A 1964 graduate of Frost High School, he attended Navarro Junior College
Corsicana Simi Weekly Light - Dec 7, 1965


William Junius McKie, III

NAVAL AVIATOR - William Junius McKie, 21, son of Mrs. Ethel W. McKie, 1917 West Seventh avenue has been commissioned a second lieutenant in the Marine Corps Reserve and designated a naval aviator at the Naval Air Training Base, Pensacola, Florida. He was be ordered to duty either at an instructor's school for further training or at an operational base.


Lindsey C. Morgan, Jr.

T-Sgt L. C. Morgan, Jr., U.S. A.A.F., 90th Bomber Group Headquarters, Pacific area, was started home recently on a furlough and ended up with a discharge, it was revealed.
Arriving last week in San Antonio he was asked if he desired a discharge as he had 104 points. The answer was in the affirmative, and he arrived home Thursday with his discharge and made the acquaintance of his two-year-old daughter, Peggy, whom he had never seen.
Sgt. Morgan was stationed in New Guinea, Blak and in the Philippines before being sent home after 32 months overseas service.
A 1938 graduate of Corsicana High School, Sgt. Morgan was a senior in the University of Texas Business Administration school when he enlisted in the AAF in January 1942. He plans to return to  the University and finish his BBA degree.
Mrs. Morgan, the former Everly Aldridge of Many, La., and Peggy were here with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. C. Morgan.


Ray Langston

Cpl. Ray Langston, ordnance U.S. First Army has arrived in the states and expects to be sent to San Antonio, and then home on furlough, according to a telephone message to his wife Sunday night. He telephoned from an East Coast port. Cp Langston has been overseas 19 months and has een stationed in England, France, Belgium and Germany. He entered the armed forces January 29, 1943.


  • Corsicana Semi-Weekly Light - June 8, 1945
  • Submitted by Verna Bonner

Rains, SC Two Army Bombers Collide, May 1941





Rains, S. C., May 19 -- (AP) -- A collision of two light army bombers high above this little Eastern South Carolina community, followed by fire and an explosion, cost the lives of four pilots today.
Army authorities at the Savannah, Ga., air base, from which the planes had taken off on a training flight to Langley Field, Va., said the victims were:
Second Lieut. FRANK H. RALSTON, Pittsburgh, Pa.
Second Lieut. ALLEN J. MOORE, Reno, Nev.
Sargeant DAVID L. BOYD, Frost, Texas.
Corporal HERBERT O. PRUITT, Collinsville, Miss.
One of the planes was shattered to bits by an explosion and burned as it landed in front of a deserted tennant house, and the other caught fire and was so thoroughly consumed that eye-witnesses at first were certain there had been six men killed.
Lieut. MOORE jumped in his parachute. Witnesses say he made a slow landing in a field, but he died of a broken neck while being taken to a hospital at Mullins near here.
Witnesses said the two planes, leading a flight of five bombers, apparently were thrown together, as if by a gust of wind, just as they emerged from a cloudbank almost directly above the Rains school house. Both appeared to be out of control immediately thereafter.
The first to fall crashed into an open field near Atial's Cross Roads, about a mile and a half from here on the Mullins highway. Some spectators said the pilot seemed to be trying for a pancake landing in the field, but, others added smoke was pouring from the plane, indicating it was on fire before it reached the ground. As it struck, flames shot up and consumed it quickly. The bodies of the occupants could be seen in the charred wreckage several hours later.
The other, from which Lieut. MOORE leaped, fell a mile and a half farther to the northeast, in front of an empty house and exploding. The plane and its occupant were shattered and burned.
The flight began from the Savannah air base at 10:30 a.m., and it was 11:40 when the accident occurred. One of the remaining three bombers continued on to Langley Field, while the other two returned to the Savannah base.
MOORE was married and had established a home in Savannah since his assignment to the base there. His body was found near the burned fragments of his plane.
MRS. INEZ SMITH and MRS. DAISY MARICELLON took the flier into an automobile and started for the Mullins hospital but he was found dead upon their arrival.
Guards were posted around the wreckage to keep back the curious pending arrival of army authorities take charge.
NEIL McCRACKEN, a farmer of Rains who saw the crash, said he was watching the planes flying in formation high in the air. One of them collided with one just ahead. The planes, he said, seemed to be flying at an altitude of two miles.
"Suddenlty," said McCRACKEN, "one of the planes shot forward at a much greater speed and at the same time were out of control. After the crash, both machines spiraled downward."
The collision occurred almost directly above the Rains school. Rains is a country community 8 miles south of Mullins. Many of the school children witnessed the crash.
The planes fell about a mile apart, each about 100 yards on opposite sides of Highway 57. In a few minutes, hundreds of farm people, school children and passersby had gathered to view the wreckage of the two bombers.
The crash was the first fatal mishap involving army planes since the army air base was established at Savannah last October. Late yesterday afternoon the bodies of Lieut. RALSTON and Sergeants BOYD and PRUITT had not been removed. It was reported at Mullins that the body of Lieut. MOORE had been carried to Fort Bragg.

Florence Morning News South Carolina 1941-05-20

Harvey A. Frank

Blooming Grove Soldier Wounded In German Fighting

BLOOMING GROVE, Texas, May 6—Pfc. Harvey A. Frank, who has been serving overseas for many months, was wounded in action in Germany, and spent six months in a hospital in England, according to information received by his wife, Mrs. Harvey Frank, who lives here. Mrs. Frank is the former Miss Imogene Ward. Pvt. Frank has been awarded the Purple Heart decoration.

The Corsicana Daily Sun - Saturday, May 5, 1945
Submitted by Imogene “Jean” (Ward) Frank-Ragain-Sluder

Charles Franklin Campbell, Dr.

Air Medal Has  Been Awarded To S-Sgt. Campbell
Staff Sgt. Charles Campbell, U. S. Army Air Forces, based in England, has been awarded the Air Medal "for meritorious achievement in accomplishing with distinction several aerial operational missions over enemy occupied Continental Europe.
"The courage, coolness and skill displayed in the face of determined opposition materially aided in the successful completion of these missions. His actions reflect great credit upon himself and the armed forces of the United States."
Flight engineer and gunner on a B-24, Sgt. Campbell participated in the battle of the Belgium Bulge when the Germans staged their Christmas breakthrough.
An honor graduate of the Blooming Grove high school, he volunteered for service in August. 1941.

The Corsicana Daily Sun - Wednesday, March 14, 1945
Submitted by Diane Richards


SERIOUSLY INJURED - Staff Sgt. Charles Campbell, U. S. Army Air Forces, turrent gunner on a B-17 was seriously injured somewhere in England when his plane made a forced landing according to information received by relatives at Blooming Grove. The son of Mr. and Mrs. T> M. Campbell, he entered the service in August 1941, and received primary training at Ellington Field.  Completing gunnery school at Boston Mass., he was then sent overseas. His wife resides in Florida.

View News Clipping with photo
The Corsicana Daily Sun - Friday, December 8, 1944
Submitted by Diane Richards

R. L. Stevenson

WASHINGRON, March 27.—Details of the exploit of the Yard Bird, a Flying Fortress of the United States air forces, which had two Texans in its crew, were made public Saturday by the war department.
The Fortress fought it out with 26 enemy aircraft over France and although damaged by 20-millimeter cannon shells, destroyed seven of its attackers and then returned to its base in England. One shell hit the left wing of the Fortress and exploded, breaking the main spar. Another exploded in the fuselage and a third ripped the right wing. Lieut. J. W. Farrar of Mattoo, Ill., pilot made a safe landing at his base in England despite the fact that the left wing vibrated so violently that crew members thought it would break off.
Texas members of the crew were Second Lieut. J. W. Stewart of Austin, bombardier, and Sgt. R. L. Stevenson of Frost, left waist gunner.

The Corsicana Daily Sun - Monday, March 29, 1943
Submitted by Diane Diane Richards

Ralph DeWitt McAfee


Otis G. Bryant

Germans Surrender To Former Frost Man
Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Bryant, Frost, have received a clipping from an El Paso paper which told of five Germans surrendering to their son, Lieut. Otis G. Bryant, on June 26 at Cherbourg. Lieut. Bryant was born and reared in Frost and is a graduate of the Frost high school and Hillsboro Junior College. He received his commission at Ft. Benning, Ga. Lieut. Bryant is now making his home in Loving. N. M.


Stevenson, William E.

S-Sgt. William E. Stevenson, U. S. Army Air Forces, son of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Stevenson of Frost, has been awarded the Oak Leaf Cluster to the Air Medal for exceptionally meritorious achievement while on combat missions over Germany and occupied Europe, according to word received by relatives at Frost. The award was recently announced somewhere in England by Major General James P. Hodges, commanding general of a Liberator bomb division.
Stevenson is a radio operator on a B-24 Liberator and enlisted in the Army, April 7, 1942. He was a student at North Texas State
Teachers College prior to enlisting.


Citizens Asked Give Blood For Wounded Soldiers

Six more days!
Six more days in which to ask for an opportunity to send a pint of your blood to a wounded man on a battlefield. The Red Cross mobile blood bank will be stationed in Corsicana for three days next week, April 26, 27 and 28. You are being asked, now, to mall a postcard to Mrs. L. S. Cooper, 117 West First Avenue, Corsicana, for an appointment. Blood donations can be made by appointment only, and many appointments will he required to fill a three day schedule. The three-day stay is in itself a compliment to Corsicana and Navarro county. Red Cross officials feel that a sufficiently large number of people are anxious to donate blood to justify a three day schedule in this area. A pint of your blood plus the Red Cross equals a man in battle. Mail your postcard at once. You will he notified in advance of the time of your appointment. Keep your appointment. Every broken appointment means a Red Cross bed will be empty for twenty minutes, a pint of blood lost, perhaps a man's life lost.


William Logan McCluney
Feb. 9, 1900 - Dec. 25, 1982

Seriously Injured.

Logan McCluney, youngest son of Mrs. W. A. McCluney of this city was seriously injured by the east bound Cotton Belt passenger train at Dawson last Saturday evening, Young McCluney was visiting his sister, Mrs. C. C. Turner at Dawson, and late Saturday evening accompanied Miss Billy Wiley Robins to the depot to send a telegram to Miss Robin’s sister in Oklahoma City. They reached the station just as the train from Waco pulled in and were caught between the engine and a truck. Logan shoved Miss Robins out of the danger zone but was himself struck by the engine and knocked in front of it. He would have been crushed to death had not two men standing near seized him by the feet and pulled him from the track. As it was he was dragged several feet by the engine, and his nose was broken, jaw bone and knee shattered, and otherwise badly bruised. At last accounts he was resting as well as could be expected under the circumstances and hope were entertained for his recovery.

The following relatives went to Dawson to be at the bedside of young McCluney: J. E. and Finis McCluney Saturday night: Mr. and Mrs. L. E. Willsford and Lon and Clem McCluney and R. H. Logan, Sunday: Eugene McCluney of Breckenridge, Monday.


Albert Edward McMichael, Sr.
Sep 1, 1923 - Apr 3, 2005

S-Sgt. M’Michael, Engineer-Gunner, Has Narrow Escape

SEVENTH AAF HEADQUARTERS, Central Pacific—S-Sgt. Albert E. McMichael, 20, of 1919 West Collin, Corsicana, Texas, first engineer and top turret gunner of the 7th AAF heavy bomber, the “Hellcat,” tossed overboard everything he and the other members of the crew could tear loose, in order to keep their ship in the air while it struggled home for almost 1,200 miles, after two engines failed during a mission over Saipan.

Perilous Landing.
A perilous landing after dark was made successfully on only one engine, for a third engine failed just as the bomber turned into the traffic pattern over its home field at Eniwetok, after 14 fatiguing hours in the air.

No other Liberator flying the Pacific Area has been known to have flown so great a distance under such handicap. The Hellcat was with a flight of 7th AAF B-24s flying with Navy Liberators over Saipan, in the beginning of the campaign against the Jap held base. Leaking oil in one of the engines caused the Hellcat to fall behind the formation. An attempt to speed up the remaining engines in order to keep up with the flight caused a second engine to go out.

Japs Attack.
The flight approaching the target and Jap interceptors could be seen leaving the ground.

“We lost altitude rapidly,” said Sgt. McMichael, “Lt. Grady F. Sheppard of Big Sandy, Texas, our pilot, gave us orders to go off oxygen and jettison everything possible. In a few minutes we fell to 2,000 feet. We dropped our bombs over the water, threw out flack suits, the oxygen tubes and chopped away equipment with a hatchet.

“The ball turret gave us trouble, so we worked in shifts until we got it loose and threw it over along with all ammunition except 200 rounds for each gun in case enemy fighters attacked—still a possibility at this time.”

Everything Overboard.
All loose clothing, including the radio operator’s boots went overboard, followed by the waist guns, bombsight and camera. The ammunition belts were broken in to sections so they would not damage the plane when being jettisoned. Then the crew removed the pilot’s armor plating and the entire gun-assembly was unbolted and thrown over.

Sgt. McMichael is the son of Mr. and Mrs. A. D. McMichael of Corsicana. He was graduated from Corsicana High School and before enlisting in December 1943, worked at the Simon Daniels Hardware Co. With other members of his crew, he is credited with destroying two Jap zeroes. He has been awarded the Air Medal.


Corsicana Man, Prisoner War, Hear on Radio

Parents of three Navarro county youths, prisoners of the Japanese government in Java, heard directly from them during the week-end when a government official of Long Beach, Calif., from a short wave post, telephoned Eddie Donaho, Corsicana, Route 3, that the voice of his son, Eddie Donaho, had been recorded in a radio talk.

Mr. Donaho, who resided on Route3, Corsicana, was telephoned Sunday morning at 2:30 o’clock over the phone of R. L. Harris, near Retreat, and it is reported to have been advised his son stated in the broadcast that he and two companions, Hugh Garland of Mildred and Ronald Moses of Corsicana, were being well-fed, were getting plenty of exercise and were well treated. Mr. Donaho was advised that a recording of his son’s talk would be sent him.

Donaho graduated from Corsicana High in 1939, and left the local units of the National Guard in 1941 and volunteered for duty in the Philippines. He was reported missing in action June 4, 1942 in Java, and was reported a prisoner of war, Jan. 22, 1943.

Hugh Garland, son of Supt. And Mrs. H. A. Garland, of the Mildred schools, was reported missing in action, June 11, 1942, and a prisoner of war in Java, Jan. 28, 1943.

Ronald N. Moses, a former Texas National Guardsman, son of Mrs. Alma Steele, Corsicana was reported a prisoner Jan. 28, 1943.


Eddie Leon Donaho

Parents Informed Of Son’s Broadcast From Jap Prison Camp

Mr. and Mrs. Eddie Donaho, Corsicana, Route 3 have received a telegram from the Provost Marshal General in Washington, stating that a broadcast from their son, Pvt. Leon Donaho, a prisoner of war in Camp Fukuoka Camp No. 2, Japan, had been recorded recently and had been checked with the International Red Cross.

In the broadcast Pvt. Donaho stated that he was well and was working daily. He requested his friends to write him at the camp.


  • The Corsicana Daily Sun - Feb. 26, 1944
  • Submitted by Diane Richards
  • View News Clipping
  • Eddie Leon Donaho - Aug. 20, 1922 - Sep. 20, 1984
  • Buried in Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery, San Antonio, Tx
  • h/o Elanor Janell (Johnston) Donaho s/o Edward “Eddie” Donaho & Gladys (Vandygriff) Donaho buried in Hamilton Beeman Cemetery

Eldred L. Costlow


Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Costlow, 620 North Main street, Tuesday received a telegram from the adjutant general, Washington, stating:
“Your son, Private Eldred L. Costlow, field artillery, prison of was of Japanese government in Java. Letter follows.”

Pvt Costlow was a member of the first contingent of selectees sent to an induction center from Navarro county Draft Board No. 1, his father, a former resident of LaRue, Henderson county, stated Wednesday.

The last letter the parents received from the soldier was on Feb. 1, 1942, that he had landed in Java. He was reported missing in action in June 1942.


Harvey Crenshaw

DAWSON, Feb. 27, - Mr. and Mrs. B. C. Crenshaw have recently received notification that their son, Harvey Crenshaw, who was in military service in the Philippines, is a Japanese prisoner Crenshaw had been in the service two years, and it had been about fifteen months since his parents had heard from him.


Taylor McCullooch


Taylor McCulloch, U. S. Army, Italy, is “missing in action,” according to a telegram received by the parent, Mr. and Mrs. J. T. McCulloch, Navarro Mills, Friday from the war department, friends here Saturday morning reported. No other details were available here.


  • The Corsicana Daily Sun - Sat., Nov 6, 1943
  • Submitted by Diane Richards
  • son of John Thomas McCulloch and Lucy Olivia (Sinclair) McCulloch buried in Navarro Mills cemetery h/o Evelyn Delee (Hodges) McCulloch-Conger buried in Dresden cemetery.

Elmer Neil Griffin

Father Receives Purple Heart for Son Killed in Action

Robert M. Griffin, Purdon, has received a Purple Heart decoration, awarded posthumously for his son, Elmer N. Griffin, who was killed in action in the Southwest Pacific area on August 15.


Orland J. Watson
Jan 22, 1921 - Mar 29, 1944

Buried in Restland Memorial Park, Dallas, Texas
S/o Joseph Alfred Watson and Willie Irene (Morrison) Watson

Native of Barry Killed In Action

Orland Watson, 23, native of Barry, son of Mrs. Willie Watson of Dallas, was killed in action, March 29, over Germany, according to a telegram received by the mother Monday night from the War Department, Watson was an aerial gunner on a Flying Fortress, according to his aunt, Mrs. G. F. Gay of Corsicana, and had been in England only three weeks when he was killed.

Surviving are his mother and a brother, Durwood Watson, both of Dallas.


Johnny Lois Burgett
Feb. 12, 1904 - Nov. 13, 1942



Johnny Lois Burgett, United States Navy, who has been reported missing in action, is the son of Mrs. J. C. Carver, Pursley, Rt. 1. Prior to his enlistment in the navy in the late fall of 1922, at the age of nineteen, he lived in the Montfort community.

He received a citation for bravery after participation in the Nicaragua Campaign in 1928, and saw service at Pearl Harbor. Both he and his wife, the former Helen E. Horne of Boston, Mass., whom he married in the spring of 1932, were present during the December 7 sneak bombing by the Japanese.

They escaped injury and continued their residence at Pearl Harbor until March 1942, when they returned to the United States for commissioning of the “Barton” a ship on which Burgett served in the capacity of chief machinists mate.

No word has been heard from him since October, and Mrs. Burgett has received a message from the war department stating that he is missing in action.

Wife Visited Here.
Mrs. Burgett has been visiting her husband’s mother and other relatives in Navarro county and Oklahoma. Two weeks age she returned to Buckeye, New Mexico, where she has been making her home with a sister-in-law, Mrs. H. Russell, since her husband’s departure from Boston into active duty.

Burgett has three brothers, L. L. Burgett of Ardmore, Okla.; Chester Burgett of Houston; Lester Burgett of Texas City; three sisters, Mrs. R. F. Jones of Montfort; Mrs. Henry Russell of Buckeye, New Mexico; Mrs. Jessie James of Houston; one half-brother, Gene Carver of Pursley, and two half-sisters, Mrs. Roy Ellis of Corsicana and Fern Carver of Pursley.


  • The Corsicana Daily Sun - Tues., Apr. 27, 1943
  • Submitted by Diane Richards
  • w/o Johnny Lois Burgett who was killed in action Nov. 13, 1942
  • Buried at Manila American Cemetery and Memorial, Manila, Metro Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines h/o Helen E. (Horne) Burgett s/o W. F. “Frank” Burgett and Maude Florence (Finley) Burgett-Carver (Maude is buried in Resthaven Memorial Park, Corsicana, Tx.)
  • WWII Biography

Helen E. (Horne) Burgett
Died about Jun. 1, 1944

Mrs. Helen Burgett Found Dead Recently In California Home

Mrs. Helen Burgett, wife of a Navarro county sailor killed in action, and daughter-in-law of Mrs. J. C. Carver, Dawson, Route 1 was found dead in her apartment in San Pedro, Calif., June 1 and had apparently been dead several days when discovered. Death was attributed to natural causes. The body was cremated and burial was in California.

Mrs. Burgett, a former resident of Boston, Mass., had visited Texas many times since her marriage in 1932 to Johnny Lois Burgett, chief machinists mate, U. S. N., whose home was in Montfort until his enlistment. Burgett enlisted in the navy in 1932, was cited for bravery in 1928 after participating in the Nicaragua campaign. He and his wife were at Pearl Harbor when the Jap bombing occurred. He narrowly escaped death by hiding in shrubbery as low flying Jap planes strafed those on shore with machine gun fire. Later they returned to the States. Mrs. Burgett resided in Texas and New Mexico with her husband’s relatives while he continued in the service. He was listed as missing in action when his ship went down during the heroic defense of Guadalcanal. One year later this was changed to killed in action.

Mrs. J. C. Carver has received the Purple Heart for her son, which was posthumously awarded to him in June.

Survivors of Mr. and Mrs. Burgett are his mother, brothers, L.L. Burgett, Roane, who made a trip to California after hearing of the death of his sister-in-law; Chester Burgett, Houston; Lester Burgett, Texas City; sisters, Mrs. D. F. Jones, Montfort; Mrs. Henry Russell, Buckeye, N. M.; Mrs. Jessie James, Houston; one half-brother; Gene Carver, Dawson; two half-sisters, Mrs. Ray Ellis, Corsicana, and Fern Carver, Dawson.


Jay B. Ragan, Pvt.
Jun 1, 1922 - May 11, 1945

KILLED ON OKINAWA - Pvt. J. B. Ragan, 22, U. S. Army, infantry, was killed in action on Okinawa May 22, according to information from the war department received by his parents. Mr. and Mrs. John Ragan Chatfield. He had previously been reported missing in action. Entering the service September 11, 1944, he had been overseas since February 1945.  He is a graduate of the Montfort school. Besides the parents, four sisters and five brothers survive. One brother, Dexter L. Ragan, 29, recently received a medical discharge from the army as the result of wounds received in Germany Jan. 31, while serving in an infantry division with the U. S. first Army.



Reburial Rites For Pvt. Ragan Held Thursday.
Reburial services for Pvt. Jay B. Ragan, 22, U.S. Army, were held Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Chatfield Methodist church. Burial was in the Dresden cemetery. Rev. W. Vinsant was in charge.
Pvt. Ragan was killed in action on Okinawa, May 11, 1945.
Surviving are his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Ragan, Chatfield; five brothers, W. D. Ragan, Roane; D. L. Ragan, Dallas; Bueford Ragan, Corsicana; Ray and Bobby Ragan, both of Chatfield; four sisters, Mrs. C. J. Haley, Orange; Mrs. H. I. Gaines, Chatfield; Mrs. Thomas Lucas and Mrs. W. C. Poston, both of Corsicana; grandmother, Mrs. N. J. Grimmett, Barry, and other relatives.
Pallbearers were Cub Pierce, Ed Ellington, Bud Kelt, Mass Maxwell, Byron Kirby and Chester Goodwin.
Corley Funeral Home directed.


Ronald Neal Moses
Aug 26, 1920 - Oct 19, 1972

Sgt. Ronald Moses, 25, Japanese prisoner for more than three years is now at the Brooks General Hospital in San Antonio and is expected home on furlough during the week end. He returned to the States Nov. 1.
A member of one of the local Texas National Guard unites mobilized in November, 1940. Sgt. Moses was with the "Lost Battalion" captured in Java early in 1942 by the Japs. He wears the Purple Heart. Presidential Citatio0n and two Oak Leaf Clusters, Silver Star decoration, Infantry Badge, five Bronze Battle Stars and a Good Conduct ribbon.
His wife of Dawson is with him at San Antonio. Sgt. Moses is the son of Mrs. R. E. Steele 1214 West Twelfth and One-Half avenue, Corsicana


Jack Crawford Newcomb
Feb 6, 1923 - Jan 20, 1945


Pfc. Frank C. Newcomb, 22, 3516 Peabody, Dallas, was one of nine persons killed in a crash of a heavy bomber near Muroc Army Air Field, at Muroc, Cal., Saturday morning. The body will be shipped here for burial and funeral services are expected to be held Wednesday or Thursday from the Corley Chapel. Interment will be in Oakwood cemetery.

Pfc. Newcomb was born and reared in Corsicana and graduated from the Corsicana high school in 1939.

The plane in which he was killed was reported on a combat training mission by Col. W. A. Maxwell, commanding officer of Muroc Field.

Surviving are his parents, Capt. and Mrs. Donald Newcomb, and two sisters. Capt. Newcomb is with the U. S. Army, and Mrs. Newcomb and two daughters reside in Dallas.



Pfc. Jack Newcomb Be Buried Here On Thursday Afternoon

Funeral services for Pfc. Jack C. Newcomb, aged 22 years, who was killed when a U. S. Army heavy bomber crashed near Murdoc, Calif., Saturday, will be held from the Corley Chapel Thursday at 3 p.m., with interment in Oakwood cemetery.

The body accompanied by Sgt. Elton C. Tines, military escort, was shipped from Los Angeles Monday night and was scheduled to arrive in Corsicana Thursday at 11:51 a.m., according to a telegram to the mother of Pvt, Newcomb from Col. W. A. Maxwell, commanding officer of the field.

Surviving are his parents, Capt. Don D. Newcomb, U. S. Army, commanding officer, U. S. prisoner of war camp at Rosenberg, Texas, and Mrs. Ruby M. Newcomb, Dallas; two sisters, Mrs. Will Roy Thompson and Emma Jean Newcomb, both of Dallas; a brother, Festus Earl Newcomb, student at Allen Academy, Bryan, and other relatives.

Pvt. Newcomb was born and reared in Corsicana, graduating from Corsicana high school in 1939.


Jimmy Doyle Carroll


Howell Raymond Rollins
Sep. 1, 1920   -  Apr. 1, 1945



His parents on buried at Ridge Park cemetery, Hillsboro, Tx. They are Claude Raymond Rollins and Maude Louella “Ella” (Howell) Rollins.  This is their marriage record in the Johnson County book






George Bruce Gillen, Sr.
Nov 12, 1922 - Oct 26, 2000


Homer Irvin Davis
Feb. 13, 1916 - Feb. 8, 1991

The Corsicana Daily Sun - Fri., Dec. 10, 1943
Submitted by Diane Richards


  • Buried Restland Memorial Park, Dallas, Tx.
  • UA Army WWII -POW
  • WWII Biography
  • h/o Gladys Marie (Wilkinson) Davis s/o Marion Finch Davis and Edna Lee (Moore) Davis buried in Dawson cemetery, Dawson, Tx.


WWII Submarine Visits Corsicana

Carl Mac Hagle


  • Obituary
  • Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery, San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX

Roy Everett Whitfield

Charlie Leon "Slim" Dorton
Sep 23, 1920 - May 29, 2008


  • New Chatfield Cemetery, Chatfield, Navarro Co., TX

John Afton Mayo


  • The Corsicana Daily Sun - Mon., Feb. 4, 1963
  • Submitted by Diane Richards
  • Men and Women in WWII
  • Greenlawn Memorial Park, Groves, Jefferson Co., TX


James Adrian Mayo


Navarro County TXGenWeb
© Copyright February, 2020
Edward L. Williams